fast fermenting yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopbrad

Reaction score
What yeasts are known to be fast fermenters?

My buddy and I plan to brew 2 beers while I am home(6 weeks) and would like to drink them before i leave. I'd like to do a hoppy pale ale and a Wit. both between 5-6%.
I usually use s-05 for my pale ales and IPA's but am wondering if there are any that ferment faster?
also any quick belgian or hefe strains you recommend?

we can keg and use tap-a-draft but would like to bottle some to bring around to friends and family.

I used WLP002 once and finished in 12 days and went right to keg and 3 days later, I was drinking it. It wasn't a very big beer at 1.049 so that helped. US-04 is pretty fast too but I rarely use it.
I've read that Wyest 1099 works quickly but I've never used it before.

i'm on the fence with s-04, ive only used it once in a pale and wasn't thrilled. but use it a decent amount in my browns and stouts. i guess the roasty malts work well or mask the esters.
is notty faster than s-05?
also any quick hefe or belgian wit yeasts?

S-04 will produce a very clean ale, just like US-05, when it ferments cooler (58-60F). However, that will slow fermentation a bit. US-05 will ferment quickly and is much more tolerable to higher temperatures, but takes a long time to floculate. If you can cold crash, you'll drop the yeast much quicker. I have used both of these to ferment and bottle in as little as 10 days, but you really have to have fermentation temperature and pitch rate under control for a good beer with S-04.

WLP300 is a great Hefe yeast. Make an adequate starter and it will ferment vigorously in the mid to upper 60's. I use to always need a blow-off tube with that strain, even when I fermented in a bucket with lots of headspace.

Almost any hef strain is going to be fast, in fact that's about the "fastest" beer of all in my opinion. Cal/American Ale is also a good one. You can easily ferment then drink your beers in 6 weeks if you are kegging especially with about any yeast you chose.

I get 4 to 5 day primary ferments with S-04 at 65F, and it clears pretty quick with a cold crash. Commercially I can easily flip an S-04 beer in 2 weeks easy, sometimes as little as 10 days. At home I find 3 weeks to be more average to give time to carb in the keg.

Back