Fantastic Nut Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bretheren

Reaction score
1 can Black Rock Nut Brown Ale
1 can Light Liquid Malt extract
200g Crystal 60 grain - milled fine
250g brown sugar (muscovado or demerara)
Safale S-04 yeast
14g Fuggles hop pellets (@15 mins)
14g Fuggels hop pellets (@flame-out)

Steep the grain for 30 mins in 2 lt ~65 deg water, then strain the liquid into another pot. Bring it to the boil, add the first lot of Fuggles and boil for 15 minutes. Turn the heat off, add the sugar and the other lot of hops, and let it sit for 10 mins (with the lid on).
Then strain the whole lot into your fermenter, add the two tins and fill to 21 litres. Pitch your yeast.

Carbonate to 1.7 CO2 (about 2grams of Dextrose per 550ml)

555729_10151838230223079_1452548724_n.jpg

Sounds good,although i'm questioning the brown sugar,did you get any cidery tones at all?.or does the cider flavors come out only with dextrose?

Sounds good,although i'm questioning the brown sugar,did you get any cidery tones at all?.or does the cider flavors come out only with dextrose?

I cracked one open after two weeks in the bottle and although it had good carbonation, it was still a bit harsh. I let it sit for another two weeks in the cellar which is a bit cooler and we just finished about 6 liters of it over the weekend to rave reviews. Everything mellowed out and combined perfectly, no cider notes. I checked on my notes, I used Muscovado sugar. It's not 100% fermentable and gives a nice caramel twang!

Back