Ever wonder how much husk gets through a SS Braid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyJumpUp

Reaction score
I always wondered how much grain/husk make it through my SS braid in the bottom of my MLT. I came across this neat little fitting for free. A 1/2" hose can be screwed right into it. The screens are quite small as you can see. I attached it to the end of the drain hose on my MLT. It was there for the mash and two batch sparges. Not much husk came through as you can see in the picture. I used to think the SS braid wasn't fine enough but this makes me feel better. I am considering using this in place of the SS braid but am worried the mesh is too fine and it will clog.

IMAG1062.jpg

IMAG1063.jpg

I always had pretty good luck with my stainless braid. It was what I first used when I went all grain and still probably as effective as anything else I've moved to since.

The one thing I noticed with the braid I used was you could "stretch" or "compress" it and doing so would change the vary the size of the holes. I imagine this contributes some to the various experiences people have with the braid method.

After vorlaufing a liter or so I get crystal clear wort with my SS braid. Zero husk.

I always had pretty good luck with my stainless braid. It was what I first used when I went all grain and still probably as effective as anything else I've moved to since.

The one thing I noticed with the braid I used was you could "stretch" or "compress" it and doing so would change the vary the size of the holes. I imagine this contributes some to the various experiences people have with the braid method.

I added a T fitting and bent my SS braid into a circle and connected the ends to opposite sides of the T to make a circle. The size of the holes is at least consistant that way.

I just have a straight braid, from a 1 inch water heater hose. I move it around a lot when stirring so I would guess a bit gets inside then. After the vorlauf the wort is quite clear. I have never worried whether a little gets through or not.

Back