ESB using WLP-002

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VipertheIV

Reaction score
So I've taken two FG readings to see it I'm ready to rack it and when I check the temp after taking the hydrometer reading it says 54°, will this be a problem? Should I rack it and move it upstairs from my basement to essentially do a diacetyl rest once in secondary? Thermometer read 66° when fermentation started last week, but is now at 61°

60 degrees is quite cold for the 002 strain,especially when you started at 66 degrees. That yeast shuts down quickly when it drops in temp and you are now definitely below the sweet spot in terms of fermentation temp for that strain. Not sure a d rest would do much at this point but if you do it do it in the primary not secondary.

002 will throw diacetyl, I just had it happen to me on a too-cold ferment. I agree with splashmike - if you do a rest, don't rack it to secondary beforehand.

Is your FG where you want it to be?

Final Gravity is reading 1.018 and holding. I don't taste "buttered popcorn". But I'm a worry wort with only a little over one year brewing under my belt.

Final Gravity is reading 1.018 and holding. I don't taste "buttered popcorn". But I'm a worry wort with only a little over one year brewing under my belt.

if you a worried, and it will put your mind to rest go ahead and do a D-rest, won't hurt anything.

Temp range is 65-68 for wlp002 so I would raise the temp for a few days. The strain also has a low attenuation 63-70% (compared to what I normally use) so a higher FG is normal. I believe my last ESB ended up right about where you are, in the .016-.018 range. As long as your temps are closer to the 68* range and you let it sit for a few days, the yeast should clean up the diacetyl on its own. The strain cleans up well and leaves a decent amount or residual sweetness. Be patient, raise the temp to 68* and forget about racking for a week.

Back