Electric Vacuum for racking--any suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saramc

Reaction score
If there is already a thread for this I am sorry. Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions for inexpensive electric vacuum pumps to use for racking wine? If you have any suggestions and know where to find this pump, please let me know.

We just use an "easy siphon" or maybe it's "auto siphon" ? $10 at the LHBS and works plenty fast enough for the quantities we homebrew.

@Troubled...not using anything larger than 5gallon. And actually interested in an electric vacuum so I can avoid heavy lifting. I need to order an auto-siphon so it easier to start the gravity racking, until I find the ideal vacuum. Thinking of an electric vacuum pump, no-oil, 1.5-2CFM (hope I got that right), with a gauge and control. Watching eBay and Craigslist for HVAC units and checking under "aspirator", "suction device", "portable suction", "electric vacuum". Just not familiar with brands beyond medical equipment such as GOMCA and Invacare. Could kick myself in behind because Amazon had new 1.5CFM electric vacuum with gauge/control for $57 free shipping & I was just beginning my research and did not know if that was the right thing. Turns out it is, and of course it is not available at that price any longer. Alas, I will find one!!!! But, I am always open to suggestions of others. Thanks.

I understand the heavy lifting point.
My concern with pumps would be sanitation issues, parts and hose that may not be designed for acidic food products, and if the mechanics would be detrimental to the product. I use pumps all the time to move large quantities of wine but the factors i just raised are all taken into consideration.

Instead could the initial ferment be hoisted on a table that could be subsequently racked into another carboy. Just a thought.

Have plans to use food grade hoses, overflow container, etc; have very good understanding of the sanitation requirements etc. Just trying to locate a good quality pump for in-home use, likely no more than 5g at a time, actually prefer an electric/no-oil device, that way I don't have to connect to an alternate device beyond the filter.

Latest posts

Back