Electric Keggle Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

processhead

Reaction score
I have been using this keggle as my HLT for the last several years, but with propane as my heat source.

This year I decided to make the transition to electric kettles, and decided to begin by converting this one to electric operation.

The element is a 5500 watt 240 volt spa element and would ordinarily be mounted in a recirculation tube.

The mounting system allows for bottom mounting in a flat bottom kettle with just 2 holes 1/2" diameter. I wasn't too concerned about ease of cleaning, since it is only heating water.

Since the j-box protrudes below the rim of the keg, I welded three feet on to the bottom rim to raise it up about 2 inches.

I upgraded my RIMS panel with a PWM board and 45 amp SSR for kettle controls.

Its great to see how fast you can bring a kettle of room temperature water up to boiling temperatures.

Next project is to build a BK using one of Bobby's solder on TC enclosures and a Camco 5500 watt ULHD element.

1382281492714 (Medium).jpg

DSCN3281 (Medium).jpg

DSCN3284 (Medium).jpg

DSCN3283 (Medium).jpg

DSCN3291 (Small).JPG

I've been using my Hot Tub RIMS Tube and it has me thinking about doing this to one of my keggles with that element. Did you consider mounting it to the side of the keggle instead? I was thinking about mounting it vertically on the side of the keg. Maybe bending it a little at the bottom to follow the curve.

I love how these elements mount with just two small holes. They seem much more accessible to people than having to drill one giant hole. Also, the gasket is built into the element.

Latest posts

Back