Electric brewry relay question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dye4me

Reaction score
I have an Electric Brewery style relay for my control panel Maine Power I have 120 across the coil but it won't engage I can manually push it in and everything lights up and works fine I'm wondering if there's anything I might have missed that's caused this condition other than it being a defective relay?

Take a screwdriver and grab the business end of it, gentle tap on the face of the contractor with the handle a few times don't beat the hell out if it but hit it firmly. See if that works.

I have an Electric Brewery style relay for my control panel Maine Power I have 120 across the coil but it won't engage I can manually push it in and everything lights up and works fine I'm wondering if there's anything I might have missed that's caused this condition other than it being a defective relay?

I don't know what an Electric Brewery style relay is. I've dealt with lots of different types in my career but never ran into that one.

I also don't know why things would be any different in Maine than in Vermont so I'll need some more explanation there. Nonetheless it sounds as if the coil may be open. Disconnect it and put an ohm meter across its terminals. You should read a finite resistance.

Tapping it good and Hard didn't work. Took it apart put it back together still no go. The coil sounded like a baby's rattle when I gave it a shake. I'm guessing that's my problem :-(

The relays come with different voltage coils from DC to 120 and 240v ac... Chances are its the wrong voltage coil in the relay for your application.... if you took it apart after it was already rattling you would have seen some springs hanging / not connected at both ends or they may have fallen right out... otherwise I cant see hot it would rattle without loose things that would fall out when you opened it. Even if the contacts fell off they would still be loose and fall out once it was opened up... they are not complicated to see how it works.

You can use a 240v coil or a 120v coil in your electric brew panel if you have 4 wire 240v going in.. You just have to feed the coil the correct voltage by wiring it accordingly. It doesnt matter much if its for your main power switch or not.

Back