E-Brewery Remodel, The Slippery Slope Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rondacker

Reaction score
I completed my
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=268759"][Basement E-Brewery in 2011].
I had the idea to upgrade my mash tun to stainless. That began this slide down the "slippery slope" and a new name for my project!
The plan; to replace the tun with a Ss Brewing Technologies InfuSsion Mash Tun.
thumb_IMG_0967_1024.jpg

I decided, while I'm at it, to replace the old immersion chiller, recycled as a HERMS coil, with a new stainless steel unit.
thumb_IMG_0977_1024.jpg

Also, sliding down the slope, I'm replacing the HLT, since the HERMS coil is much larger, and won't line up with the existing fittings.
Parts for the new HLT/HERMS.
thumb_IMG_0976_1024.jpg

As the project progresses; you'll see how the brewery's new name fits.
I'll update here as I get things done.
Thanks for the inspiration!
Cheers!
Steve

Subbed! I keep going my back and forth on whether it's worth it to spend the coin on one of those MT's or just convert a keggle... Curious to see this progress...

Love the name! I slid, fell, tumbled, and rolled down the same slope. Then near the bottom I fell in a rabbit hole....It's a wild ride! Expensive too! Good luck on the remodel and keep us posted!

John

I agree. Not trying to knock, but I don't really understand this combo. I think PID loops work best with "tension". If you overheat the only way to bring the temp back down is to add cold water.

Interesting point! I was thinking no insulation on a MT was just an ROI thing...

Interesting point! I was thinking no insulation on a MT was just an ROI thing...
Most guys have plastic, insulated coolers for mash tuns. The unit I bought is a stainless version of that. I've been using an ugly version of HERMS since I first commissioned my brewery 4-5 years ago. I use the HERMS to raise the temp of the mash for a mash out, as well as heating the strike water in the tun. As for PID loops, I'm very comfortable tuning them. ROI thing??

Return on investment -- the cooler concept works well without a HERMS or RIMS setup, but once you're recirculating heat, I figured the insulation was overkill unless you have the extra coin to throw at it.

Whereas BrunDog's point is the insulation may actually hinder the RIMS or HERMS setup since it makes it harder to drop the mash temp if it gets overshot somehow

Right. If the ambient temp is crazy cold than insulation is a good thing. But in warmer ambient limited temp bleedoff will allow for overshoot easier. Probably a non issue in practicality, but something to consider.

Return on investment -- the cooler concept works well without a HERMS or RIMS setup, but once you're recirculating heat, I figured the insulation was overkill unless you have the extra coin to throw at it.

Whereas BrunDog's point is the insulation may actually hinder the RIMS or HERMS setup since it makes it harder to drop the mash temp if it gets overshot somehow

I've used the HX and cooler setup since I started using my rig. I didn't know much about brewing on an electric rig. I had the cooler and an old immersion chiller, so I incorporated all of it. Since my background is building automation installation as a journeyman, and later, retiring as a trouble shooter/project manager, I was able to tinker with my system. I'm sure that I've fudged some stuff along the way. The upgrade to a stainless tun is really frivolous. I have the time and saved up some cash, so, I'm not concerned with ROI. My wife can't understand why I don't just get kegs from some of our local craft brewers. It's a tinkerer thing. LOL.
I am wondering how my larger HX will affect my process though. I'm going with a 50' by1/2" stainless coil, up from a 15' by 3/8 copper coil. I assume my lag from the HLT to the mash process will be less. That's what I'm hoping for, since raising my mash temp for mash out/sparge takes too long now. I know I'll need to re tune the PIDs. That's not too hard. Time will tell.

image3-66839.jpeg

The new Mashtun started the project.
There are feet that cause it to be unstable on the old wire shelving.
image-66836.jpeg

I removed the vessels, then took off the wire shelving, which was difficult to clean.
image1-66837.jpeg

I picked up a section of countertop for a new work surface. It will make cleaning easier.

Last post for today;
image-66844.jpg

I got pull-in solder fittings from Bobby M. I just cut the solder and heated the keg and then the fitting;
image2-66843.jpg

Just needs a little clean up. Way better than silver- brazing that I did the first time.

Latest posts

Back