Dry Hopping techniques - POLL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your dry hopping technique

• Option 1

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Option 2

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Option 3

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Option 4

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters

Bigheady57

Reaction score
Here is a poll for you guys to ponder and debate.

I’m curious what everyone’s dry hop techniques are. Specifically IPA’s and NEIPA’s.

OPTION 1: Let beer ferment to terminal gravity and dry hop after fermentation is over

OPTION 2: Dry hop at a few points before terminal gravity and allow to ferment out with a blow off or a some type of capped fermentation (sounding)

OPTION 3: Dry hop early in fermentation 24-48hrs into active fermentation; at high krausen to achieve “biotransformation”

OPTION 4: anything other than listed above (please explain your process if this is your option)

I have tried all these options along with some double dry hopping, and have good results with all three. I have even combined some of these options, also having good results, but I’m interested to see what you all have to say.

CHEERS!

4. Whirlpool while recirculating through CFC until it's cooled to about 120 degrees. I'm still tweaking the process since I just started doing this with my last two beers.

I have been mostly doing 2 DH's

First one at high krausen (Day 1-3)
and second about 3-4 days before bottling.

I also add some sugar with the second DH (dissolved in boiled water), read somewhere it helps scrub o2 by kicking off fermentation again.

1 small one with less than 1 Plato left. Rest at ferm temp for 2 days after FG then cool to 60, let rest for 36-48 hours, pull as much yeast and hops as possible. Add much larger DH addition and let sit between 60 and 63 for 4-5 days. Crash and condition.

Back