Dregs for the win

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

couchsending

Reaction score
In the past I’ve always added Brett or bacteria after primary was complete. Beers have turned out great with no THP or acetic acid present.

Last mixed ferment I decide to copitch 3522 with some Hill Farmstead and Jolly Pumpkin dregs I’ve been maintaining for a year or so. Took a 40 theoretical IBU wort to 3.5 pH in 3 weeks at room temp! Now that’s some strong LAB.

Just took a sample of a beer I primaried warm with 34/70 last May and transferred to a carboy and added the same culture to. PH was down to 3.1 and really bright sourness with zero acetic/nail polish.

Pretty sure the LAB is mostly Jolly Pumpkin with the dominant Brett being from HF.

Dregs for the win!

Certainly. I made a great lambic (yes yes I know it's actually a lambic because I didn't make it in Belgium) from just an ale yeast pitch, then a few different bottle dregs. Mostly Belgian stuff, but I used to live in NW Indiana and Jolly Pumpkin was prevalent, so some of that made it in too. Did a turbid mash, used aged hops, unmalted spelt, the whole deal. Long project, but 3 years later it's drinking very nicely. Gotta make sure it's active and what you want, but it's certainly a good tactic.

I've got some JP dregs in a couple different fermenting brews, one very recent, one sitting since December ( I think). Perhaps I should check on that.

Tough to get JP (or anything really good in my neck of the MN woods), but my niece is graduating from high school in June - I figure a trip to SW MI will get me lots of good dregs. I'll just have to figure out what to do with the beer on top of the bugs...

Back