Don't Do That.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's probably doesn't matter anymore, but have you tried to retrieve it?
I would probably use a bendable metal wire with a small fabric pad on the end.

Once the yeast is established and fermenting away, the acetobacter on the fruit fly may not have much chance in that environment.

I was able to fish it out with the aeration setup. Pitched yeast right after. It was bubbling strong this morning. Hoping for the best. It's supposed to be a 8.5% porter. I hope it doesn't turn into a mixed fermentation. The peach tree in the back yard was very productive this year and some fruit flies came in with the fruit.

I wanted to experiment a little and try making a rice beer (50:50 two row and white rice). So I decided to pre-(over)cook the rice by putting 1.5 lbs + 1 gal water in my instant pot, filling it about 80% to "Max Fill".
When depressurizing it went ok at first, but then it started spewing thick white goo that oozed all over the top of the instant pot and the countertop. Took about 30 mins and some disassembly to clean up...
DON'T DO THAT! Should have used less water, but I thought it was an easy way to heat up the water for the mash.

I wanted to experiment a little and try making a rice beer (50:50 two row and white rice). So I decided to pre-(over)cook the rice by putting 1.5 lbs + 1 gal water in my instant pot, filling it about 80% to "Max Fill".
When depressurizing it went ok at first, but then it started spewing thick white goo that oozed all over the top of the instant pot and the countertop. Took about 30 mins and some disassembly to clean up...
DON'T DO THAT! Should have used less water, but I thought it was an easy way to heat up the water for the mash.
Your misfortune made me chuckle. For that I apologize.

The method you describe should work if you let the instant pot cool down before opening the release valve. That would add some time to the process but be easier than cleaning up the mess. Instant Pot refers to this a Natural Release. Once the cooking cycle is over turn the appliance off and wait for the sealing ring to drop on its own. This might take half an hour with a pot full of liquid.

The method you describe should work if you let the instant pot cool down before opening the release valve. That would add some time to the process but be easier than cleaning up the mess. Instant Pot refers to this a Natural Release. Once the cooking cycle is over turn the appliance off and wait for the sealing ring to drop on its own. This might take half an hour with a pot full of liquid.
Yeah, I am familiar with the feature but was just impatient and not expecting the starch tsunami. Maybe next time, if this turns out good!

I’d be worried that the PRV might get clogged and create a burst hazard.

I’d be worried that the PRV might get clogged and create a burst hazard.
Ahem,

Actually, the pressure is regulated by a weighted conical pin that fits atop a hollow tube with a small inner diameter. The area of the passage and the mass of the regulator generate ~1 atmosphere of pressure differential before it overcomes the weight, and venting occurs. Should the weight become blocked or jammed, a few additional kpa will cause the silicone cap seal on the end of the float valve, which serves as a burst-disk, to rupture and venting occurs. Should that fail, additional pressure forces the inner pot down onto an overpressure sensor in the base which will open the circuit for the calrod heat element, and pressure will stop rising. It's a variable sensor as well, the mechanism which enables 2 or more pressure settings. Should that sensor fail, the silicone main gasket is forced to vent via fin seal flexure, causing excess pressure to vent around the perimeter of the lid, safely directed downward into the condensate channel. Should all of the above somehow fail, the temp sensor in the pot will detect a temperature higher than what corresponds to the boiling point of water at 1atm, and open the heating circuit.

Unless you have severely overcooked mental oatmeal in your bone ramekin, you're safe.

Source-
I design kitchen appliances.

Last edited:
Ahem,

Actually, the pressure is regulated by a weighted conical pin that fits atop a hollow tube with a small inner diameter. The area of the passage and the mass of the regulator generate ~1 atmosphere of pressure differential before it overcomes the weight, and venting occurs. Should the weight become blocked or jammed, a few additional kpa will cause the silicone cap seal on the end of the float valve, which serves as a burst-disk, to rupture and venting occurs. Should that fail, additional pressure forces the inner pot down onto an overpressure sensor in the base which will open the circuit for the calrod heat element, and pressure will stop rising. It's a variable sensor as well, the mechanism which enables 2 or more pressure settings. Should that sensor fail, the silicone main gasket is forced to vent via fin seal flexure, causing excess pressure to vent around the perimeter of the lid, safely directed downward into the condensate channel. Should all of the above somehow fail, the temp sensor in the pot will detect a temperature higher than what corresponds to the boiling point of water at 1atm, and open the heating circuit.

Unless you have severely overcooked mental oatmeal in your bone ramekin, you're safe.

Source-
I design kitchen appliances.
That’s comforting insight. I’m extremely cautious (paranoid) about all forms of pressurized fluids from high pressure tires to unitanks to kitchen devices like pressure cookers. In the Navy we inflated aircraft tires to 300 psi for carrier operations. In the airlines it wasn’t uncommon to see normal pressures above 200 psi. I’ve seen what havoc they can cause when things go south.

That’s comforting insight. I’m extremely cautious (paranoid) about all forms of pressurized fluids from high pressure tires to unitanks to kitchen devices like pressure cookers. In the Navy we inflated aircraft tires to 300 psi for carrier operations. In the airlines it wasn’t uncommon to see normal pressures above 200 psi. I’ve seen what havoc they can cause when things go south.
I have often thought that a RIMS tube could become a bomb. I had a silicone hose for tap water to the plate chiller. I had a 40 psi pressure regulator in the line. For one reason or another, I was working on the system and somehow blocked the flow of tap water out of the plate chiller. The hose "exploded" with a very load bang and water went everywhere. (note to self: Use braided hose).

I have often thought that a RIMS tube could become a bomb. I had a silicone hose for tap water to the plate chiller. I had a 40 psi pressure regulator in the line. For one reason or another, I was working on the system and somehow blocked the flow of tap water out of the plate chiller. The hose "exploded" with a very load bang and water went everywhere. (note to self: Use braided hose).
Yes, learned that lesson one cold night in the garage.

Had a length of 3/4 silicone hose connecting the garden hose to IC. I dropped IC into the kettle, turned on spigot outside the garage, and came back in to see a quickly growing swelling in the silicone hose at the IC. I turned back to shut off the spigot but the was a loud 'Pop' and a lot of splashing before I got there.

Don't forget that the 3/8ths coiled copper chiller is going restrict the flow of water and create pressure in the hose. Don't do that...

I share your fear/respect of pressurized fluids. Navy personnel are obviously well acquainted with the dangers of steam, so I'm sure none of this will be news to you, this is for other readers. As a young process engineer, I saw some stuff that opened my eyes. Petrochemical and plastics manufacturing sites have 150# steam as a utility distributed throughout processing plants. Used for 'sparging' (thawing or melting cold spots in piping), it was an everyday necessity in colder months. Sparging lances are elongated metal nozzles enabling operators to inject steam into jacketed lines, penetrating pipe insulation to keep the material flowing. Sometimes fittings fail, hoses burst, valve packings blow out, etc. That steam lance seems like a garden tool in the hand, but a simple slip or mishap can sever a limb. The steam jet is invisible, but it cuts flesh like a welding torch through steel. Steam packs so much heat energy that it instantaneously cauterizes the wound, resulting in a sickening braised pork aroma for the emergency crew.

I'll never forget that smell.

I share your fear/respect of pressurized fluids. Navy personnel are obviously well acquainted with the dangers of steam, so I'm sure none of this will be news to you, this is for other readers. As a young process engineer, I saw some stuff that opened my eyes. Petrochemical and plastics manufacturing sites have 150# steam as a utility distributed throughout processing plants. Used for 'sparging' (thawing or melting cold spots in piping), it was an everyday necessity in colder months. Sparging lances are elongated metal nozzles enabling operators to inject steam into jacketed lines, penetrating pipe insulation to keep the material flowing. Sometimes fittings fail, hoses burst, valve packings blow out, etc. That steam lance seems like a garden tool in the hand, but a simple slip or mishap can sever a limb. The steam jet is invisible, but it cuts flesh like a welding torch through steel. Steam packs so much heat energy that it instantaneously cauterizes the wound, resulting in a sickening braised pork aroma for the emergency crew.

I'll never forget that smell.
Quite true. When I first set to sea (55 years ago) the Navy’s predominant steam plants were transitioning from 600 psi to 1,200 psi. In most aircraft hydraulic systems we’re talking 3,000 psi. Scary stuff when you stop to think about encountering a pinhole leak.

Quite true. When I first set to sea (55 years ago) the Navy’s predominant steam plants were transitioning from 600 psi to 1,200 psi. In most aircraft hydraulic systems we’re talking 3,000 psi. Scary stuff when you stop to think about encountering a pinhole leak.
If I haven't said so elsewhere previously, thank you for your service. Now more than ever, our patriots deserve recognition.

If I haven't said so elsewhere previously, thank you for your service. Now more than ever, our patriots deserve recognition.
Thank you for the acknowledgment. Military service was the defining factor in my life, right behind marriage and family which always came first. Yet after 26 years in the uniform of my country, I do not consider myself to be either a “militarist” or “conservative”. Quite the contrary in fact.

When ever someone thanks me for my service, I merely reply that it was my honor and privilege to have served.

Contributing any money into a 529 plan for the son that just ran full speed into the wall because some cartoon kid did the same thing on TV. (Minutes after his Mom melted that other thing) Just like the cartoon he fell flat on his a@@ in a daze when the wall didn't budge.🤦‍♂️
Saving for college, why am I doing that?!

That's the scary thing about pressure — there's (usually) no way to see it.

So we regularly make maize(corn) meal porridge for breakfast. The first step is to wet the maize meal to make sure it doesn't form clumps, just like avoiding dough balls when mashing in. A cup of maize meal is dumped in a bowl and a cup of cold water is added and allowed to soak for several minutes including the odd stirring. Then the slurry is mixed in with boiling water and cooked. Sounds simple.

So last weekend, after no drinking the night before, I go into the kitchen, grab the container of white, granular, self-leveling stuff off the shelf, measure out a cup and add the cup of water as I've done for many, many years. I then continue on with setting up the cook pot with water and salt on the stove before turning back to the bowl of soaking maize meal. I notice that the water is just sitting on top of the white, granular, self-leveling stuff and not soaked in yet. It can happen where some water stays on top due to a dry layer, but this was excessive.

I grab a spoon to stir it up and then realize that the white, granular, self-leveling stuff was sugar, not maize meal. Some words were pronounced and the sugary mix was put into a storage vessel while the correct white, granular, self-leveling stuff was retrieved from the correct storage location (nothing was misplaced, so can't blame it on that) and breakfast continued.

I'm still trying to figure out what my face would have looked like if I'd poured the sugar slurry into the boiling water and wondered where it all disappeared to.

Assuming one white, granular, self-leveling stuff is another white, granular, self-leveling stuff! Don't. Do. That!

I've sprinkled ground cumin on French toast, instead of the intended cinnamon. They have a vaguely similar color, and both labels start with a 'c'. And I'm not usually very sharp in the morning.

My wife has suggested that I should go to bed with an IV of coffee in my arm, on a timer that starts the flow a half hour before my alarm clock rings. Sometimes I think that might not be a bad idea. 🤣

Put your priming solution on to boil then forget to turn the heat down until the kitchen is filled with burnt sugar smoke. That stuff smells like hell and is hard to breathe! Don't do that.
And then if you're lucky, you can boil the burnt sugar off the bottom of the pan, but not always. Ask me how I know ;).

Had a few too many homebrews during my brew day. Changed the battery in my Tilt and put it into distilled water to calibrate. Forgot to actually calibrate the thing before I dropped it into the fermenter. Showing me a starting gravity of 1.020.

Don't do that.

Had a few too many homebrews during my brew day. Changed the battery in my Tilt and put it into distilled water to calibrate. Forgot to actually calibrate the thing before I dropped it into the fermenter. Showing me a starting gravity of 1.020.

Don't do that.
Ir doesn't matter what it reads - just use it to detect change. Measure the gravity at the beginning and end of fermentation using a refractometer and/or hydrometer.

I have a couple from the holiday. First, Brew a new batch, put it in the new pressure fermenter, grab the brand new spunging valve setup and put it in place. Assume the new spunging valve is actually assembled becsuse it looks assembled, then come back the next day to a puddle on the floor and find the fitting was only hand tight on the QD, a few hours later figure out the push on line fitting was only halfway in. Oh, and the puddle is because when you are too exited to try the new setup, a gas disconnect WILL fit on the liquid post. Don't Do That.

Second, when you are cleaning up the puddle, have you son notice that the freezer is thawed. With a new delivery of a quarter cow and half a pig in it. Start swearing like a sailor and pull everything out of the Keezer, manifolds and all. Crank the temperature on the Keezer right down to the bottom and throw everything from the freezer into it, because New Years Eve is a crappy time to shop for a freezer and get a good selection.

Oh, Wait! Do do that! I just justified the cost of the keezer by saving a load of expensive meat. Now it is never a luxury expense, it is the backup freezer that also provides us with a myriad of tasty beverages.

When life gives you lemons...
1705543229863.png

It was bad enough to have to buy a new freezer, at lest I didn't hsve to pitch over a grand in meat.

Back