Does this look right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eisenhans

Reaction score
Hi folks. Not very new at the brewing process, but I guess in some ways I still am because it's been a while since my last brew!

I just want to make sure my beer looks right. I'm brewing the white house honey ale, and it doesn't seem like the fermentation has been as active as previous beers I've brewed.

I want to say it looks okay...definitely smells pretty sour, which I'll take to be normal. I wouldn't think it's infected, but mainly, I'm just used to seeing a much thicker krauzen after preliminary fermentation. This beer has been in primary for about 72 hours and I was changing the airlock on it, which is when I felt it looked...odd.

Cheers!

photo (1).JPG

yep, normal. Krausen dropped mostly and those floaters look like yeast to me. Give it more time and it will settle out clear.

Cool thanks guys! Here's a stupid question now: Do I have to worry because I opened the lid after 72 hours? Or am I ok?

That ring of crud around the top is the remnants of a glorious krausen. That sucker is about done.

You are good, there is still little activity in there and it will make a protective layer on there.

Good to know. Should I keep it in the primary still for 7 days, or would I be fine racking to secondary early?

No real need for secondary, but if you have to I suggest not do it early, let it sit on the yeast cake for at least a couple of weeks. You would be just as well off letting it chill out for 3 weeks and as long as your beer has reached the fg proceeding with bottling or kegging.

Latest posts

Back