Does Fermcap work well enough to ferment with low head space?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim311

Reaction score
I recently ran into a conundrum where I didn't have a fermenter available. I had a 5 gallon batch and only a 5 gallon bucket to ferment in. I ended up making do with essentially an open fermentation but it got me wondering about fermcap. Would it be feasible to ferment 5 gallons of beer in a vessel that only had maybe an inch of head space on top, like a 5 gallon bucket? Or does ferm cap still allow some bubbling action and krausen?

My experience has been that it works great in the kettle and very good in the fermentor. Definitely noticeably less krausen, but I have had fermentations still blow off in the fermentor and in the flask on a stir plate. I think an inch headspace still isn't enough. Maybe if you keep the temp on the low side too. I think you will get a few different answers on this.

It works so well I obsessed checking my fermenter because I didnt think the yeast was working. No krausen what so ever. Thankfully my hydrometer calmed me down.

No krausen whatsoever is what I'd really like. Using standard store bought 5 gallon buckets to ferment would be awesome. Some overflow out of a blowoff would be fine but I've brewed beers without fermcap that absolutely raged and pushed out half a gallon of crud. I wonder how well it would have worked in scenarios like that.

I've had it all ways. Big blowoff, reduced krausen, and no krausen whatsoever. Completely freaked me out, seeing my carboy with zero signs of fermentation after checking on it a week after pitching. A hydrometer reading straightened me right out.

I certainly wouldn't depend on fermcap to guarantee a mess free experience by using undersized fermentors.

Buy the baby gas drops. It's the same active ingredient, but cheaper. Smithicone or something like that.

I don't use it. I like to keep anything unnecessary out of my beer if possible. I know people who use baby gas drops with no issues though.

:mug:

I've had it all ways. Big blowoff, reduced krausen, and no krausen whatsoever. Completely freaked me out, seeing my carboy with zero signs of fermentation after checking on it a week after pitching. A hydrometer reading straightened me right out.

I certainly wouldn't depend on fermcap to guarantee a mess free experience by using undersized fermentors.

This has been my experience. I use 1 drop in my yeast starters (generally 1.5L) and 7 drops in my boil (generally around 6-7 gallons pre-boil). I've mostly experienced reduced krausen in my fermenters. However, I have had at least 2 blow-outs.

7 drops in my boil (generally around 6-7 gallons pre-boil)

My LHBS fills and labels their own bottles of Ferm-Cap, so they can offer it at a better price. The label says 3 drops/gal for the boil. I forget what it says for pre-ferment additions, but I think it's 1-2 per gallon.

I have no idea what the "official" recommended dosage is, but either I'm using too much, or you're not using enough.

I'll check later what my label actually says and post back. Edit: 3/gal boil, 2/gal fermentor

My LHBS fills and labels their own bottles of Ferm-Cap, so they can offer it at a better price. The label says 3 drops/gal for the boil. I forget what it says for pre-ferment additions, but I think it's 1-2 per gallon.

I have no idea what the "official" recommended dosage is, but either I'm using too much, or you're not using enough.

I'll check later what my label actually says and post back. Edit: 3/gal boil, 2/gal fermentor

The directions on my bottle from Midwest Supplies says 2 drops per gallon. 1 drop per gallon has been plenty to keep me from boiling over, which is my primary concern for using it in the first place. Keeping krausen down (most of the time) is just a nice side affect!

Back