does anyone want to go in on White Labs Funky Cider Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really wonder how different it is from other blends. I used some 5g of apple juice with harvested Wyeast 3031 saison brett - pleasantly funky, mildly tart, and very dry. Enjoyable overall. Brett funk plus apple juice is something that may be a bit of an acquired taste though.

you trying to do a group buy? or waiting for the vault release?

you trying to do a group buy? or waiting for the vault release?

trying to get White Labs to release the yeast - you don't pay until the orders are met - this is how it was presented to me by White Labs:

Place a preorder on one of specialty strains listed below. When 150 orders are received, you’ll receive an email notifying you the strain will be released along with its estimated ship date. At that time, your credit card will be charged.

right, but when you said "go in on" i assumed there was a big order being placed. commercial accounts can order them anytime, dont need to wait for the vault releases. want sure if that is what you were referring to. just put up reply, didnt really pay attention to first post i guess.

I just checked again - stuck on 73 - I wanted to use this strain on my first attempt at a Plum cider using the plums from my backyard :(

StarSan is good at killing bacteria, but not so good at killing yeast. To be safe, I'd sanitize with Iodopher which kills a broader spectrum, including brett.
I stopped using Iodophor a long time ago because StarSan is so much easier to use. I sure am glad I didn't throw it away!

Didn't see this and put in a verbal order through my LHBS after tasting his brett cider. Sorry bros if it gets down to 1 @ me and I'll put us over the top.

now down to 2 orders - time to start gathering your hard cider ingredients - Yes I am pumped about this :D

Oh dang, did I miss the funk bus? It looks like I can’t order it now that it’s reached the minimum order?

IMG_9674.JPG

IMG_9675.JPG

I was late to the party and just emailed them... I also ordered their Brett Anomalus, because it has barnyard funk, which Im curious about! Some of my favorite commercial ciders (Art & Science, Tilted Shed) are using wild yeasts and aged for 10 months, I'm trying to get some funk in my home brews.... It's hard to figure out what that after taste is, my guess is some Brett and lots of tannins from the apple and the chardonnay barrels....

I have a batch going right now with some American oak cubes and grape tannins added, hope that will get me halfway there...

nope, my current batch is Fermentis Safcider yeast, have not heard back about the WLP616 yet, I wonder if it will be available to the public once the "In Production" Vault batch is done...

Back