Do you guys set a limit on your drinks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Presently, I do not drink everyday; only about 4 days a week. I will have two to three beers a sitting + work out regularly + eat right. I sneak in occassional fatty foods, but only like once a week.

My doctor says I have excellent health compared to when I used to drink more frequently and about five to six beers a sitting. I still ate well back then, but didn't really exercise. High triglycerides, caused by alcohol (not a fatty diet) was my issue. Lowering my alcohol intake/rate, taking potent omega 3's, and working out has helped with that issue. And I don't feel tired all of the time anymore.

I had surgery about a year ago and in the conference with the anesthetist (sp?), he made it clear how he would determine how much to use. He asked "If I were picking up your tab at a bar, how much would it cost me?" My wife told him "You couldn't afford it". He smiled and said he would double the dose.

Smart guy, and I'm going to have to use that line of questioning. And you spelled it correctly.

I tend to vary quite a bit, but am also influenced by budget. If we have extra money we'll make a few trips during the week, stocking the fridge with a few bottles each per trip. On payday I typically head to a local place with lots of good craft beer on tap and put down 5-6 stronger brews.

I don't drink beer at parties and such, only hard liquor or wine. That can be in excess but its only a few times a year :)

If I have something good I made on tap ill probably have a pint or two a few times a week.

I don't set a limit, but I don't generally drink very much anyway. I don't drink every day, and usually during the week if I drink I will stick to low ABV beers. If I am pulling beers from the kegerator, I typically use a smaller glass like a 6-10oz glass, and maybe for something like a mild or other low gravity beer I will pull a 12oz or pint. And, I tend to only pull one or maybe two glasses anyway before I'm done.

I tend not to crack open the big bottles of high gravity beers unless I have a friend or two around to help me drink it, although if it's the weekend and I know I'm staying in, I might crack one and drink it over a few hours, or I might pull more than one or two glasses from the kegerator.

I tried drinking a Black Tuesday (18-20% barrel-aged "RIS" in a 750ml bottle) by myself over the holidays, and it was a mistake. I started pretty early and planned to just drink a bit at a time over the whole day. I stuck to the plan, but I was still completely wasted by the end of the day, and I was pretty sick of drinking Black Tuesday by the time I finished it.

Back