Do we just use washing-up liquid and then StarSan?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium82

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Is it enough just to remove gunk from the equipment using normal washing-up liquid and a soft sponge (one that doesn't scratch), then spray everything with StarSan?

I am just trying to make sense of all the different practices and ideas I have seen so far. One could go crazy just looking at the literature on this topic. :)

Cheers

Beware that some soaps leave behind scents or compounds that affect head retention. I try to use only oxyclean free or PBW. If I use soap, I use a very small amount and am sure to rinse very well with hot water. Then rinse again.

Some plastics, like auto-siphons can't handle water that's too hot.

For nasty bottles I've brought home from the bar and other things with gunk on them, I've used laundry soap. Does a good job on labels too.

With glassware and stainless steel, I don't worry too much about perfumes and scents. They seem to not hold on to such as long as they get a rinse with something else. Even just plain water.

But for brew day, I usually am using stuff that already been well cleaned and frequently it just goes straight into the sanitizing bucket.

Dishwashing liquid is ok for general clean-up but it's not going to remove beer stone, like from a boil kettle bottom. Bar Keepers Friend with a stiff sponge is excellent for that...

Cheers!
Is it more a visual thing or does beer stone affect the final product? This is the first time I have heard of it. Thanks.

I think if you compared washing-up liquid with PBW or similar you'd opt for PBW. It looks relatively expensive, but it's not comparable (it's hugely better) and if used sparingly (low end of recommended conc, small volumes, clean several items with one batch of prepped cleaner) it works out pretty cheap and more environmentally responsible, imtao.

Generally speaking, cleaning and sanitizing ae different things. I'd say I clean after brewday, dry and put away. For the next brew day I just need to santize.

Cleaning "depends". Some things I hit with a sponge and water and they are done. Some (most) things I use PBW on. Dissolve a little in a small pot and get to work (I use nitrile gloves). Sounds like a lot of work but it really isn't and it does a good job. It definitely gets darker while being used, telling me I am actually cleaning stuff off which I didn't realize was there.

Beer stone is a combo of proteins and minerals form the water. If it's on your boil kettle, it's generally fine since you boil in that kettle. If it's on your fermentation stuff you should get it off since there's lots of itty bitty spaces to harbor things that might not necessarily get sanitized.

My opinions anyhow.

Back