DC area brewers - water system switching to chlorine temporarily

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LowNotes

Reaction score
I saw an article in the Washington Post earlier this week stating that the water system for DC, Arlington, and NE Fairfax County will be using chlorine as a disinfectant (instead of the usual chloromines) from 3/17/14 - 4/28/14. You may notice a change in smell/taste in these areas. Link below is to article, which has some advice on how to reduce the taste/odorchange, including simply letting the water sit in your fridge. It also says if treating the water for specific reasons, chlorine can be handled essentially the same as chloromines.

Just thought people might want to know in case they had brew days planned.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/drinking-water-taste-odor-might-change-as-utilities-make-temporary-switch-to-chlorine/2014/03/11/15ca4cee-a92e-11e3-8d62-419db477a0e6_story.html

Just to bring this back to the front, starting today the water has chlorine. My wife noted the smell this morning.

I would say that's probably a welcome change as far as brewing is concerned, maybe better for regular drinking water as well. Chlorine will dissipate, where chloramines will not. I prefer neither.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back