Darkening my Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gold_Robber

Reaction score
Does anyone know how I can darken a pale ale to a mahogany color (or a bit lighter) without changing the flavor of the brew?

I am afraid that if I even add 1.5% chocolate malt the flavor will change too dramatically.

TIA

I see folks worried about color all the time, my question is, why would you want to?

I totally understand why you would care how things look in regards to clarity/chill haze, but why not let the beer be the color it is "supposed to be"?

(do what you like, honestly just curious!)

I see folks worried about color all the time, my question is, why would you want to?

I totally understand why you would care how things look in regards to clarity/chill haze, but why not let the beer be the color it is "supposed to be"?

(do what you like, honestly just curious!)

Honest question.

I've made a darkish IPA, made with c-120. I thought everything was great except for the harshness that the c-120 gave the brew. I loved the color and am trying to recreate it with a smoother taste.

Thanks for your comment!

Honest question.

I've made a darkish IPA, made with c-120. I thought everything was great except for the harshness that the c-120 gave the brew. I loved the color and am trying to recreate it with a smoother taste.

Thanks for your comment!

Good luck, also, the Carafa Special malts are huskless and are not supposed to give much flavor as well (you will see these in black IPA recipes around here) if you can't get the sinamar.

Good luck, also, the Carafa Special malts are huskless and are not supposed to give much flavor as well (you will see these in black IPA recipes around here) if you can't get the sinamar.

Thanks!! I checked my local home brew stores online sites and they don't seem to carry sinamar. I'll have to look into carafa and dig deeper for the sinamar.

I used Midnight Wheat to make my normal IPA a black (not cascadian) IPA. You don't need much and it doesn't add any roasty flavor.
I also have heard of others cold steeping black malt or adding it at the very end of the mash.

Just a touch of roasted will do it. I use 3 oz in a 5 gallon batch of my Garnet Outburst Imperial RyePA, and it is a DEEP garnet color. 1-1.5 oz should do it with virtually no change in flavor.

Latest posts

Back