Crushed my grain 5 days ago......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PissyFingers

Reaction score
is it still ok to use, they are in air tight bags, will i get any off flavours etc
by leaving crushed for that long? Should i order more grains and re crush, im brewing tomorrow....

Thanks!

Only slightly related but I have unmalted, uncrushed grain that has been in the bin since last August. I expect them to be fine for brewing until at least sometime in 2017, perhaps longer. Crushing the grains expose the internal parts of the kernel and provide a much bigger area for oxygen and moisture but as others have said, 5 days is nothing.

If your bin is airtight, I tend to agree, though most suggest that 1 year is about the limit you should store uncrushed grain.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Home Brew mobile app

If your bin is airtight, I tend to agree, though most suggest that 1 year is about the limit you should store uncrushed grain.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Home Brew mobile app

My bin is a 2500 bushel with about 500 bushels of rye in it. I have sold rye after being in a bin for much longer but it loses its ability to sprout in about 3 to 4 years. No, the bin is not airtight.

it should be ok, you just need to take it piece by piece and dust off any oxidation.

:drunk:

:D

nahhhhhhh

it takes almost that long for it to get to you mail order, nothing is wrong with that grain

I think you should brew the beer for experience only, then send it to me for proper disposal ... :D

... relax, all will be well.

You will be fine. A local brewery here only buys crushed grains as it speeds up their brew day and who knows how long its been crushed. They make decent beer.

Chuck

Taken from a Briess spec sheet for Extra Special malt:
STORAGE AND SHELF LIFE
Store in a temperate, low humidity, pest free environment at
temperatures of <90 ºF. Improperly stored malts are prone
to loss of freshness and flavor. Whole kernel diastatic and
preground malts are best when used within 6 months from
date of manufacture. Whole kernel roasted malts may begin
experiencing a slight flavor loss after 18 months.

I'll add my .02 as well, I've kept crushed grains in airtight containers for nigh on a year with no issues.

I am using crushed PM that is 15 months old - but my last brew only went from 13.8 BRIX to 7.6 BRIX.

Latest posts

Back