Critique my recipe!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smagic14

Reaction score
BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Franklin Nut Ale
Brewer: Smagic 14
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Amber Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.04 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.50 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.10 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 22.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 17.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 81.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 47.6 %
3 lbs Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 28.6 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.8 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 17.6 IBUs
1.0 pkg German Ale (Wyeast Labs #1007) [124.21 m Yeast 8 -
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 9.5 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4 9.5 %
1.10 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 7 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 10 lbs 8.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 13.13 qt of water at 163.1 F 150.0 F 75 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 5.27 gal water at 168.0 F
Notes:
------
add .5 # roasted peacons to boil 15 mins left

add 4 0z lactose 15 mins left

ad 4 oz chocolate powder 15 mins left

add 2 oz vanilla to primary

Priming sugar

Add 2 oz vanilla and 1 cup lactose with priming sugar

Made this one time already and tasted great...wanting to get other opinions on this as I will be brewing again and hopefully entering it into a contest coming up but unsure of category?

:tank::ban:

This won't be a very well balanced beer. You have a LOT of crystal malts - 2 lbs worth. That's going to lend a lot of sweetness to the finished beer because of the unfermentable sugars contributed by the crystal malt. On the hop side, you only have a very small amount of cascade - which isn't a bittering hop - for bittering.

If you want to enter a beer into a competition, I recommend you start with a style first, then design from scratch or modify an existing recipe.

If I cut the crystal and change the hops to something more fitting would that be better say only 1 lb of cryatal 60 and change the hop to?

What kind of beer are you trying to make? It kinda looks like a malty red wheat German Ale.

Started out with cheesefood caramel cream ale recipe and went from there.

My friends and I tried to create a recipe that was unique and was original. We had the idea of a turtle sundae (the ice cream) flavors to be able to incorporate into a beer.

The first time it was made it tasted of chocolate and pecans...I wanted to incorporate the caramel flavor in my 3rd attempt coming up

This is my first recipe so I wanted to get pointers in anything that Could make this beer better

Thanks

I don't have a lot of experience with putting weird stuff in beer to make the beer taste like other food.

The only advice I have is that if you want the spice flavor to come out, the traditional beer ingredients shouldn't contribute a lot of flavor. I would drastically cut down the crystal malts to 8-12 oz total, use a hop meant for bittering, like warrior, summit, or columbus, and don't do any late hop additions (which you already aren't).

I don't have a lot of experience with putting weird stuff in beer to make the beer taste like other food.

The only advice I have is that if you want the spice flavor to come out, the traditional beer ingredients shouldn't contribute a lot of flavor. I would drastically cut down the crystal malts to 8-12 oz total, use a hop meant for bittering, like warrior, summit, or columbus, and don't do any late hop additions (which you already aren't).

Thank you for your help! It really helped me

Anyone else care to help me improve?

Thanks in advance!

Back