"Crawfish Keg" for BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arrasmithf

Reaction score
I was recently researching some low cost equipment for a friend that wants to upsize to 10 gallon batches and I saw this contraption from Academy sporting goods. I'd never heard of these guys before but they have lots of outdoor cooking equipment that could be repurposed for homebrewing. Anyway, this seems like a pretty good deal for BIAB setup. I do see that it has a jet style burner which gets mixed reviews depending on which forum you are in, but if it will boil 15 gallons, it should work for BIAB. What are your thoughts?

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/ou...ish-keg-with-jet-burner#repChildCatid=4099154

Attachments

• 9D2F38D4-2815-4302-8B55-B1ACEC18AD5F.png
    9D2F38D4-2815-4302-8B55-B1ACEC18AD5F.png
    540.4 KB · Views: 117
... if it will boil 15 gallons, it should work for BIAB. What are your thoughts?

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/ou...ish-keg-with-jet-burner#repChildCatid=4099154

Hard to see whether or not the spigot could be replaced with one that is designed to be taken apart for cleaning, but it probably is replaceable(?).

It looks like a one piece unit, with the burner and legs built in, which may make it a bit more difficult to clean (more awkward to dump)?

But I don't see any reason it wouldn't work.

Bayou 55M btu burner $55 and single weld Adventures in Homebrewing ss kettle $90

Agreed, you don’t really need a basket if you have a decent bag. A basket can be a detriment as some baskets are more undersized and a fair volume of mash water is outside the basket. Jmo

Jet burners kick ass for a hard rolling boil that is required for crawfish cooking.
Most commercial crawfish cookers have jet burners due to their time efficiency.
But they don't do well once you turn them down, they tend to blow out.
They are also super loud and not very fuel efficient.

That specific King Kooker does not have the jet burner, it has the 4" cast iron burner. The cast burner are very efficient and also rather quiet when operating.

Back