Kettle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Honey

Reaction score
I’m new at home brewing. I just ordered a basic kit from northern brewer and it comes with a 5 gallon kettle, but I want 10. I found an aluminum turkey fryer kettle on Academy. With this be good or should I go with something different? I’m wanting to start with making 5 gallon batches. I’m using extract kits right now, but eventually want to go all grain (BIAB)

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/ou...uminum-pot-with-strainer#repChildCatid=230401

Last edited:
This is only my opinion. The kettle is probably fine for starting out. However, with a pot that big you don't really want to be pouring out siphoning. I would at a minimum recommend adding a drain spigot.

You didn't say specifically what the pot is for, but if you are looking for a general boil kettle and you are doing full volume boils the 10 gallons should take care of 5 gallon batches. If you think you want to do 10 gallon batches then you will probably want to go a little bigger.

It is all really a delicate balancing act of planning for the future, taking care of the present, and not breaking the bank in the meantime.

That was supposed to say pouring out or siphoning. Stupid missing or makes me sound like a moron.

This is only my opinion. The kettle is probably fine for starting out. However, with a pot that big you don't really want to be pouring out siphoning. I would at a minimum recommend adding a drain spigot.

You didn't say specifically what the pot is for, but if you are looking for a general boil kettle and you are doing full volume boils the 10 gallons should take care of 5 gallon batches. If you think you want to do 10 gallon batches then you will probably want to go a little bigger.

It is all really a delicate balancing act of planning for the future, taking care of the present, and not breaking the bank in the meantime.
Thank you! I just edited my post lol

+1 what @petemoss said. Though, you really need a valve as it would be too heavy and possibly dangerous lifting and moving the pot around. Especially with hot water. Each gallon of liquid weighs about 8.5 lbs.

I started out with the kit https://www.morebeer.com/products/premium-home-brewing-kit.html and quickly outgrew it and went all grain with custom 20 gallon kettles from Spike Brewing.

If you are only going to brew five gallon batches, perhaps this kettle https://www.morebeer.com/products/85-gallon-brewmaster-stainless-steel-brew-kettle.html can hold you over until decide where this hobby will take you.

Btw, if you might some day brew 10 gallons, I would suggest a 20 gallon kettle which will be easier to work with and will help to keep boil overs from occurring. Granted, FermCap-S can help with boil overs, but a larger kettle would be more useful.

Good luck!

You'll quickly find that the turkey fryer pots are a little too small for an all grain batch where you start by boiling the entire amount of wort which could easily be 7 gallons or more. You need to allow some space above the wort for the foam or you will likely boil over. Save your money and when you need to upgrade the pot, go bigger.

Back