CRAP! Did I hand out bottle bombs? (Gluten Free Saison)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OG_IBU_Bunghole

Reaction score
Details
3 gallons gluten free saison using w/sorghum extract and candi sugar
Fermented 10days at 72-75F (recipe says 7-10 days at 70-76F)
Danstar Belle Saison
OG 10.5 Brix
FG 6.1 Brix

Running it through the calculators yielded estimated FG of somewhere between 1.001 to 1.003. I figured this thing had to be finished. I bottled it with carb tabs and gave some bottles to friends on bottling day. FWIW, I keg and don't bottle much. I told them to keep the bottles in the cardboard six pack box for 2 weeks. I put mine a few feet from a heat register to carbonate.

Now, I just looked for recipes for a 5 gallon saison and found that people will dramatically raise the temps at the end of fermentation to avoid a stuck fermentation.

Did I hand out bottle bombs?

6.1 brix is 1.024 sg! I think you definitely bottled these prematurely. Your fermentation was definitely stuck. I would be worried about those bottles of beer, especially if you primed them to higher, saison typical, levels. I would have them refrigerate them immediately, and open very carefully!

Follow up:
I didn't put them in the fridge and just watch the indentation in the cap. I had a few gushers, but most were just fine.

FTR, the refractometer calculation is different pre and post fermentation so it wasn't nearly as high FG as the previous post but probably also not what I listed in my op. I went ahead and bought a precision fg hydrometer since I'm bottling small batches. The beer was great and I brewed a 5gal batch last month. But, I'm going to keg it, so no worries this time :)

Back