Lallemand Belle Saison FG and Bottle Bombs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GertSels

Reaction score
I brewed a strong Saison three weeks ago. Now I was planning to cold crash and lager for one week before botteling at the end of week four. I started reading a lot about the yeast, Lallemand Belle Saison, and I started to worry about bottle bombs. A lot of you reach 1,001 or lower using this type of yeast. Maybe I'm a little too worried but just to be sure, any suggestions?

- OG 1,075 (no added sugar) - 1 hour mash 67°
- 22 gr dry yeast for 5,5 gallon high gravity wort
- 6 days - 18° in primary (bottom end of range)
- Hit predicted FG 1.007 after first week.
- Three day ramp to 24°
- Hit 1,005 after 4 days on 24°
- Hit 1,004 after 10 days on 24°
- Still 1,004 after 12 days on 24° (94% att)

You guys think it's safe to bottle? It's my first time brewing a saison and I would like to enjoy this beer without safety goggles ;)

Thanks!

If (say) four more points of residual extract were to ferment in the bottle, you'd be looking at ~2.6 extra volumes of CO2 (over and above whatever level you primed to).

I have no experience with the Lallemand strain, so I can't say how likely that is.

Lallemand lists it as a diastaticus strain so there's no telling at what FG fermentation will actually stop. Bottling in champange-type bottles would be the safest option as those can take much higher pressures without bursting.

I brewed something similar with that yeast and it seemed to have stopped at a similar fg. Problem was, it was not actually done, it just got really slow at the end. I got nice gushers after a month in the bottle.... Long story short, with a higher og belle saison beer,I would wait at least two weeks after I think it is done. And then probably one week more.

Okay thanks! I'll just wait another week, take another measurement and maybe wait a little longer. I was hoping to brew again next week but I guess that's out the window.

Given the starting gravity I'm pretty confident it's done. I haven't used Belle often, but with 3711, which behaves similarly, that's about right. When it's finished lower it's from a much lower starting gravity.

Giving it another week and bottling in heavy glass is the safe bet.

The one time I used this yeast it fermented forever. Like, at least 4 weeks if not 6. I forget the FG but it was very dry.

Oh yeah. Belle Saison will go dryyyyy. I've actually had the Tilt go to 0.997 on my last saison using it. Probably a calibration error on my part, but then with the Tilt, I'm not going for accuracy - I'm just looking for 3 or 4 readings that don't change so I can call it done. Belle Saison ferments long but it pays off in a great saison character. Love that stuff.

Last edited:
I've actually had the Tilt go to 0.997 on my last saison using it. Probably a calibration error on my part,

I've measured that low of FG with a hydrometer so don't just think it is a calibration error. Belle Saison like to be warm to finish up. I had to bring mine up to about 85F to get it there without waiting a lifetime.

I've measured that low of FG with a hydrometer so don't just think it is a calibration error. Belle Saison like to be warm to finish up. I had to bring mine up to about 85F to get it there without waiting a lifetime.
That's good to know. I usually calibrate mine in the same room temp water I'm brewing with. I think it calls for distilled, but wtf. Last Belle Saison batch went 1.046 to 0.997 in 17 days. Kegged 3 gals, bottled 2. Lemon Lavender Saison from Great Fermentations. Good stuff.

Plenty of buckets but only one fridge for fermentation. Maybe we'll do some uncontrolled fermentation this time...
Your ales only need about 4 days of temperature control. After they have slowed down they can be allowed to come to room temp. A lager is a different kind of cat.

"In Lallemand’s Standard Conditions Wort at 20°C (68°F) LalBrew Belle Saison yeast exhibits:
  • Vigorous fermentation that can be completed in 4 days
  • High Attenuation and Low Flocculation
  • Aroma and flavor is traditional of Saisons with citrus and pepper notes.
  • The optimal temperature range for LalBrew Belle Saison yeast when producing traditional styles is 15°C(59°F) to 35°C(95°F)
Saccharomyces cerevisiae var. diastaticus strains are capable of utilizing some types of dextrins. Extra care should be taken to ensure proper cleaning procedures are in place to avoid any cross-contamination with other brews.

Fermentation rate, fermentation time and degree of attenuation are dependent on inoculation density, yeast handling, fermentation temperature and nutritional quality of the wort."

Belle Saison typically finishes about 1.002 regardless of OG, and takes at least 3.5 to 4 weeks to get there.

Be careful, I don't want those bottles gushing or exploding on you. Leave it to ferment a while longer.
I agree with this. I use a few different D+ strains. They always take a month to finish. The last 4-5 points take a few weeks. I also never bottle any of these strains in a regular bottle. I usually bottle these in 750ml Belgian bottles.

Back