Cooper's "lager" a bit malty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProfessorWoland

Reaction score
I tried the Cooper's "lager" kit (I know its not truly a lager as it uses ale yeast) with a tin of Cooper's light LME.

I tried on after a week in the bottle and it tastes a bit on the malty side. I understand that it is a really green beer but what I'd like to know will that maltiness mellow out or should I have used sugar like the instructions? I've pretty much done every other Cooper's kit with either LME and or DME in the past and had good results.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You could try using a 3 lb bag of Munton's plain light DME or extra light,if you want more of a lager color. And use hops that are found in lagers like Czech saaz,or noble German hops like Hallertauer mittelfrueh. For less maltiness,you could do a partial boil of 2.5-3.5 gallons in a 5 gallon kettle with half the bag (1.5 lbs) of the DME & do a bittering hop addition. Like maybe 1/2 oz of warrior hops @ 60 minutes. Then the flavor hop additions @ 15 or 20 minutes. At flame out,add the remaining DME & the Cooper's can.
Since the wort is still boiling hot,after stirring it in you can cover & steep a couple minutes to pasteurize while getting the wort chill ready. Works great for me.

Back