converting % to pounds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iluv2brew

Reaction score
I guys I've brewed extracts for several years, but have recently switched to AG.
I have found a recipe that I would like to try, but it is given in percentages instead of pounds. Math has never been my strong suit and I can't figure out how to convert this recipe.
Could someone here help a dumb dumb out?
I would be shooting for 5 gal of finished beer. I usually end up with about 6 gal. of boiled wort in the fermentation bucket.
Here is the recipe:
Grain Bill
93% Base 2 Row Malt
2% CaraHell Malt
3% Vienna Malt
2% Munich Malt
thanks in advance for any help.

Depends on your mash/lauter efficiency. How many lbs of grain do you normally use to achieve 6 gallons post-boil? Multiply that x .93, .02, and .03 to get the actual lbs of each grain.

If you assume you have 10 pounds of grain total, you'd get the following:

9.3 lbs Base 2 row
0.2 lbs CaraHell
0.3 lbs Vienna
0.2 lbs Munich

Those are your proportions. Now, to get the actual amounts, you need a recipe calculator that you can plug those numbers in to and get a predicted OG. The actual amount of each you want to use depends on how strong a beer you want.It's also dependent on your predicted efficiency.

Use something like this and put those numbers in. Adjust proportionally.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/calculator/

I put the above numbers in to the Brewersfriend calculator and got the following:

Assuming 70% efficiency:
OG: 1.052
FG: 1.013
ABV: 5.07%
SRM: 4.11

That makes a nice beer.

If you assume you have 10 pounds of grain total, you'd get the following:

9.3 lbs Base 2 row
0.2 lbs CaraHell
0.3 lbs Vienna
0.2 lbs Munich

Those are your proportions. Now, to get the actual amounts, you need a recipe calculator that you can plug those numbers in to and get a predicted OG. The actual amount of each you want to use depends on how strong a beer you want.It's also dependent on your predicted efficiency.

Use something like this and put those numbers in. Adjust proportionally.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/calculator/

I put the above numbers in to the Brewersfriend calculator and got the following:

Assuming 70% efficiency:
OG: 1.052
FG: 1.013
ABV: 5.07%
SRM: 4.11

That makes a nice beer.

And that pretty much sums it up! I would stick with that exact recipe, perhaps only rounding up to to make things nice and even.

9.5# base malt
0.25# CaraHell (this is 4oz)
0.5# Vienna (8oz)
0.25# Munich (4oz)

Thank-you so much. first off in figuring it all out for me and then for explaining it to me so I can do it myself next time.

Back