Conical techniques- 7G Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmchair

Reaction score
So I need some smart advice how to use this Stout conical better. I have the butterfly upgrade.

1. How do you clean after a trub or yeast dump? I can't even see up in there. Is there a technique for cleaning and sanitizing after the dump? It seems like the part south of the butterfly opening would get nasty after dumping the trub.

2. I know these aren't rated for PSI officially, but will it handle a transfer of 2 psi? I would like to use the Ss attachment with the little pressure release. What about adding some of those canister snaps around the lid?

3. Is there a good way to verify an airtight seal when you first button things up? With the plastic fermenter I could give it a little squeeze. It is hard to tell if my lid is screwed down tight enough.

4. Is there a good technique for cleaning the lid gaskets? It seems impossible to clean inside of those things.

Anybody considering the stout, it is a really pretty and polished tank, and with the stand legs being separate from the body, it is really easy to clean in a laundry sink or with the Mark2.

I honestly havent removed my gasket in over a year since the krausen never reaches that high with 11 gallons in the 12.5 gallon version which should have the same headspace as 6 gallons in yours. I just sanitize it.. are you finding the gasket is actually touching wort and neededing to be cleaned? if not no worries... With starsan spray and being sealed during use it never gets funky of contaminated.

and im not sure what you mean about cleaning? do you mean the butterfly valve? I clean mine in a sink with a brush. you dont have to take them apart to clean them, Thats the while point behind the sanitary valve design.:mug:

oh yeah yes I have done 2-3 psi transfers with mine..

Hmm, I guess the gaskets don't get "dirty".

For the butterfly I was talking about when you are dumping trub or collecting yeast, after you close it, the part still exposed to the outside gets messy. And even before the yeast collection don't you want to sanitize that exterior part that is up inside the very bottom? Mine is at floor level so very hard to get access up in the fermenter nether region.

I think you're overthinking it. The liquid only comes out of that hole not in so when you open the valve everything will be pushed out as long as you spray some sanitizer on the valve right after you use it each time and before you use it I think it washes away most of the trub you're talking about. At least I've never had an issue in the three-plus years I've been using my conicals

I have ball valves, but I spray starsan in the end before I dump trub or yeast and spray more starsan in after I dump. Never had a problem

Exactly what I do and tried to say above.. I have both butterfly and ball valves. Ive toured some breweries where these drain valves where downright disgusting but the inside was clean.

Back