confused by terms: extract / biab / etc.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregfreemyer

Reaction score
I took a simple class at my lhbs on how to brew and I've done a few docs batches. Are these extract brews? Bias? Other?

Basic Process:
Bring 2 gallons of water to 150 deg.
Put various crushed grains in a grain sock in the water for 30 min.
Discard grains
Heat water to a boil
Add lme, bring back to a boil.
Boil for an hour, addind hops, spices as specified
Cool to 70, add water to 5 gallons
Add yeast

Thanks
Greg

I'm a newer brewer as well (just about a year). This would be extract an extract brew with steeping grains.

I took a simple class at my lhbs on how to brew and I've done a few docs batches. Are these extract brews? Bias? Other?

Basic Process:
Bring 2 gallons of water to 150 deg.
Put various crushed grains in a grain sock in the water for 30 min.
Discard grains
Heat water to a boil
Add lme, bring back to a boil.
Boil for an hour, addind hops, spices as specified
Cool to 70
Add yeast

Thanks
Greg

Are you adding any water or ending up with less than 3 gallons of wort?

At any rate this would be an extract brew.
Extract can be all DME, all LME, one or both with steeping grains etc.
Partial mash would have some base grains (typically 2 row) and some specialty grains that would usually be mashed at about 150 degrees for an hour then the boil would add extract.

Either extract or Partial mash might include adding top up water.

All grain is several different process including BIAB which is containing all grains and no extract in a bag. After mashing the grains are removed then the wort is boiled and hops are added at the proper timing.

I suggest you get a good book or look at How To Brew online. The online version is a bit out of date but it is still a great starter.

LME would be your dead giveaway! Liquid malt extract. Adding the extra grains in the bag is just a little more zing to the batch. Start somewhere get addicted to the hobby, keep moving up! Cheers :)

ddays said:
I'm a newer brewer as well (just about a year). This would be extract an extract brew with steeping grains.
This is what it is. It's an extract recipe that uses some grains for flavoring, but very little fermentable sugar is added. All the fermentables are coming from the malt extract. BIAB is Brew In A Bag, it's just another approach to all grain brewing. There is a third technique called partial mash that is a hybrid technique, utilizing a true enzyme mash but also using extract to supply some of the fermentables.

This is what it is. It's an extract recipe that uses some grains for flavoring, but very little fermentable sugar is added. All the fermentables are coming from the malt extract. BIAB is Brew In A Bag, it's just another approach to all grain brewing. There is a third technique called partial mash that is a hybrid technique, utilizing a true enzyme mash but also using extract to supply some of the fermentables.

Correct,it's extract with steeping grains. I do PB/PM BIAB myself with great results. That's Partial Boil,Partial Mash Brew In A Bag.

you would go with steeping grains because you want to use the lightest color liquid or dry extract you can get; it's usually the most popular & restocked more often so it's fresher. then use whatever crystal/caramel you need to get the color you want

Back