Concern? Jet Burner used on 1mm stainless steel pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roughster

Reaction score
Hello! I searched Google and the forums and couldn't find this addressed anywhere specifically so here goes:

I bought a Kong Kooker stand which included a 105K BTU jet burner. I have a relatively new 1 mm stainless steel brew kettle I used on the jet for the first time today and looked inside and saw:

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402368318.614323.jpg

The "V" mark on the bottom is actually matched by another directly across but is hard to see due to the lighting inside the tank for the pic. These "V"s are clearly the stand burner supports that the pot rests on.

I tried to clean the marks off the inside and they will not come off. There is an obvious physical and feelable change in the surface of the inside of the pot at this spot aka if you run your hand across it with your hand, you feel exactly where it is.

Should I be concerned? Is this normal? I checked the kettle manufacturer website and it even says people use them on 200K+ burners with no issues in their FAQ.

Not trying to say anything negative about the kettle just want to make sure this is nothing to worry about.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think you're fine. My kettles are pretty thin. 18 gauge. Not sure what that is in mm. I use 150,000 btu/hr jet burners. I get basically the same thing on the bottom of my kettles. I think it's mineral deposits and scorched wort. Doesn't hurt anything, just looks ugly. I used to try and scrub them out. Don't bother anymore. I'm sure some bar keepers friend would clean them up nice.

Latest posts

Back