Columbus hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbrim

Reaction score
I'm looking for some input about Columbus hops. I just ordered a pound as well as a pound of Galaxy and Willamette. I also have a good amount of Centennial, Citra, Simcoe and Cascade. Is there one hop that would pair best with Columbus? Should I brew a pale ale, amber ale or something else to showcase these hops? Thanks for the input.

I have recently brewed with both columbus and simcoe, in seperate batches and think that a combination of those two and citra would be awsome in an esb/ ipa cross over(hops from the ipa and drinkability of the esb)

I'm a big fan of a small dry hop addition with CTZ in pale ales and IPAs. I think it would pair nicely with Galaxy in a late addition pale ale.

As does Simcoe, CTZ pairs nicely with any of the 'citrus' varieties (Amarillo, Citra, Centennial etc.). It provides a pungent / herbal character that balances out the bright citrus flavors / aromas. An IPA, especially with the other varieties you have, would work but so would a 'West Coast' style pale. Try a blend of ~48% CTZ, 26% Simcoe, 26% Centennial for late additions and dry hop and I think you will be very pleased w/ the results.

Love Columbus hops in my American style ales. Gives a great pungent, piney, dank aroma. I think it goes great with any of those hops except maybe Galaxy.

Can't go wrong with the classic C hops. I made a classic ipa with Columbus Chinook Centennial and Cascade. One of my best. You get a nice mix of all the hop flavor categories

I've actually got a decent Citra, Centennial, Simcoe IPA on tap now that I was thinking of throwing some Columbus into. That or I could do a second stage dry hopping on the other keg I have sitting that has already been dry hopped with .5oz Centennial and .5 oz Cascade.
I may have to try an APA with Columbus FWH, then galaxy at 15,5,0 and Columbus dry. It sounds interesting.

Columbus is a great hop, I would just suggest being conservative with it. Maybe try doing a SMaSH with it to really get a good feel for it.

I'm looking for some input about Columbus hops. I just ordered a pound as well as a pound of Galaxy and Willamette. I also have a good amount of Centennial, Citra, Simcoe and Cascade. Is there one hop that would pair best with Columbus? Should I brew a pale ale, amber ale or something else to showcase these hops? Thanks for the input.

Where did you get the Galaxy from? I've looked around some (though, admittedly, not extensively) and haven't been able to find any.

Simcoe pairs well with Columbus in my experience.

This recipe turned out really well for me:

6 gallon batch, my pre-boil volume is about 7.5 gallons.

1 hour boil, though I think I'll bump it to 90 minutes next time - adjust pre-boil volume accordingly.

12.25# 2 Row 92%
12oz Light Munich 5.6%
5oz Caramunich 2.3%

Mash @ 149* for 1 hour, my standard mash thickness is 1.33qts/lb.

Hops:
.75 oz Columbus 15.2% - 60 min
1 oz Columbus 15.2% - 15
1 oz Simcoe 13% - 15
1 oz Columbus - flameout
1 oz Simcoe - flameout

2.75 oz each Simcoe & Columbus for dry hop

This gives me 67 IBUs.

OG should come out to 1.065. Brewpal gives me an FG of 1.014 and ABV of 6.7% using US-05.

This is a clone for Snake River's Pako's IPA based on a recipe given by the brewery. Here's the original thread, the recipe above is on page 2 - note that this is not the same as the recipe on page 1. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/snake-river-pakos-ipa-316170/

I absolutely love my Columbus/Amarillo IPA. In fact, I like Columbus so much I've replaced Chinook as my go-to bittering hop.

That said, I generally use Columbus (and Chinook) for bittering primarily. I prefer milder hops for flavoring / aroma.

I got them from hopsdirect. They were leaf even (my preference) and I thought I would never see that. They had 54 lbs when I ordered but are already out.

I love the flavor Columbus adds during late additions, especially when bittered with warrior. If you want a great example try flyingdogs snakedog ipa

All those hops go great with Columbus. When using it later in the boil or dry hopping, work your way up in quantities. It leaves a big impression.

Personally, I love it. It's in about every hop forward beer I brew.

A great use for it is first wort hopping

I got them from hopsdirect. They were leaf even (my preference) and I thought I would never see that. They had 54 lbs when I ordered but are already out.

Rats! Trying to get some so I can do the Stone Enjoy By clone.

Latest posts

Back