Coconut Secondary - Suggestions for Backsweetening?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bondra76

Reaction score
Cider's fermenting in my basement right now.

For secondary I am going to put it on 2 lbs of coconut for 2-3 weeks.

Any suggestions on backsweetening? I thought about .5 gallon of pineapple juice but every time I backsweeten with a heavy juice it just sinks to the bottom in the keg.

I have about 4.5g of cider in the fermentor. Just looking for suggestions.

Apple and coconut are not flavours I'd pair up...but that's just me...

My question is about the 2lbs of coconut? Are you talking about dried shredded or cans of Coconut milk or cream? Just curious...

As far as back sweetening try a can of frozen concentrate juice of your choice, in my experience that type of juice seems to mix well and not pool in the bottom of my keg. Be careful though, it's strong, I add then give it two days taste and adjust... Reason #456 of why I keg...

My question is about the 2lbs of coconut? Are you talking about dried shredded or cans of Coconut milk or cream? Just curious...

As far as back sweetening try a can of frozen concentrate juice of your choice, in my experience that type of juice seems to mix well and not pool in the bottom of my keg. Be careful though, it's strong, I add then give it two days taste and adjust... Reason #456 of why I keg...

I typically use 2 lbs of dried unsweetened coconut for my beers.

I keg as well and I'm really glad you replied to this - I have back sweetened with juice or nectar in the past and the pour from day one has ALWAYS been a different pour in day 60. I have serious problems with stratification and the sweetened fruit juice settling at the bottom of the keg. How much of the frozen concentrate would you recommend using for a 4.5 gallon batch? I like my cider on the sweeter side like your typical commercial brands.

With 4.5 gals I'd say .25 to.50 of a can for semi Sweet. However when you freeze a full 2 quarts of a juice of your choice then take off the cap and turn it upside down and collect the syrup that comes out. It is even more concentrated than the can stuff, it's supposed to blend better. I haven't tried it yet though. Also next time I'm gonna try wine conditioner with the frozen juice syrup trick. Wine conditioner is supposed to really work well as as sweetener and give it viscosity.

What kind of apple juice did you use?
I'm thinking of trying Musselman's unfiltered from Walmart for my initial 5 gallon base. $20 verses the tasty looking unfiltered Trader Joes refrigerated stuff at $40 for 5 gals.

One of my buddy has made some excellent ciders backsweetened with Splenda of all things. Doesn't ferment and actually doesn't taste weird.

Using the Musselmans as a base?
We are kegging so are not limited by what we backsweetening with..

Even in a keg anything with sugar in it will likely start to ferment again if the yeast is at all active. Obviously not as much cold as if stored warm, but still may lead to excessive foaming issues out of the tap and loss of sweetness.

Even in a keg anything with sugar in it will likely start to ferment again if the yeast is at all active. Obviously not as much cold as if stored warm, but still may lead to excessive foaming issues out of the tap and loss of sweetness.

The wine conditioner I back sweeten with is a sweetener and stabilizer all in one. Made from liquid invert sugar (a non-fermentable sugar) and potassium sorbate (to prevent renewed fermentation).

Additionally I'm pretty sure the mangrove jacks is a bottom feeder, so I've racked most of the yeast out.

Plus I keep my keg fridge at 32-33 degrees and my kegs usually don't last more than a couple of weeks.

I'm actually planning on back sweetening a wies bier that I have on the keg right now to see its affect on it's kinda weak body/mouthfeel...

Basically my new tool (wine conditioner) for adjusting stuff, most likely I will screw with some stuff, take it too far and eventually find a good medium.

Potassium sorbate does not guarantee that the yeast will not continue to ferment. It stops small amounts of yeast from reproducing, but a certain amount of yeast can overcome.

Check out post #2 here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=38783

Even if your beer appears clear, there is usually plenty of yeast still in solution unless you've actively filtered it out.

Not saying you plan won't work, but just know things can still go wonky.

Back