CO2 Leaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mphillytc

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to kegging, on my first attempt, and having some troubles with what appears to be a leaky setup.

This is the first batch I've kegged, and I'm on my second (5 lb.) CO2 tank. I force carbonated and then it took me some time to get the pressure dialed in, but eventually I got it worked out. I don't run through things too quickly, but after about a month of keeping my beer in my kegerator (probably about halfway through the 5 gal. batch), my tank ran out of CO2. It seemed way too fast, but I chalked it up to poor connections (as I didn't have a proper wrench and had tightened some things with a vise grip).

I just picked up a new canister today and connected it, this time with a legitimate wrench. Tightened all the connections. Tried a soapy water check, though I did it with a soapy dishcloth, rather than a spray bottle. Everything looked good. Beer poured really well.

It's been about 12 hours and I decided to take a look at my regulator:

iw2Mqr0zZIH9E.jpg

It was in the green when I connected it. Obviously, a drop is expected, but this seemed more drastic than I expected, especially considering that the last canister went so fast.

Like I said, I'm new to all of this. Does this look like a probable leak? Or am I just panicking over something normal after an early mistake? I've disconnected it, but my soapy water test didn't seem to yield any results. If it is a leak, any recommendations for tracking it down?

Is your tank in the kegerator or outstide of it? The high pressure gauge is not very acurate and worse if it is cold. I would disconnect everything from the keg then turn the pressure up to 30 psi or so. Then use your soapy water and test everything. If you do not hear anything and get no bubbles then it is probably a bad o-ring on the keg.

Latest posts

Back