Cider with Saison yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmartie13

Reaction score
I just bottled a Honey Saison Beer I brewed a couple months ago, is there any reason why I shouldn't dump 5 gallons of fresh UV treated cider on top of the yeast cake?

Cheers!

I haven't done it myself, but have heard of people doing it and having great results. Sorry I can't give specifics, it's just a note I've jotted down. I say, go for it!

Look up my hopped saison cyser thread. It turns out pretty well if I do say so myself. I use Belle saison but I keep my temps in the 65-70 range. I personally love saison ciders/cysers. Let us know how it turns out!

I recently did a raspberry ginger cider that used Belle Saison yeast. I kind of rushed it to bottle and should've probably bulk aged longer than I did. I basically fermented it dry, treated with k-meta and k-sorbate, back sweetened to 1.010 and bottled immediately. It was too sweet and over the top gingery immediately after bottling. I just cracked one open and could maybe, possibly start to taste some of that saison funk. The thing I like about Belle Saison is that it'll ferment well at high temp, which is nice if you don't have a lot of temp control. I'm interested to see how mine matures.

I would say go for it. No reason it shouldn't work. Belle Saison, if that's what you used for the beer, is an absolute beast.

Headed out shortly to grab some cider. I used Wyeast 3711, this yeast gave me a FG of 1.000 on my Saison brew. Really like how well the beer cleared up too. I'm looking forward to seeing how it chews through some cider. I think I'll just do straight cider without adding sugar.......or maybe a little honey...we'll see, ha!

if you can insulate the fermentor or some other method to get it pretty warm, youll get some nice lemony esters that could compliment a cider. Cooler will be a bit of spice, but less expressive

It's a tough time of year up here in the mountains to keep things warm. If i keep it in the same room as my wood stove I might be able to hit 70's for fermentation, otherwise it's 60's, or 50's on the basement. I like the profile of my saison, I started it in the 60's, let it rise into the high 70's, then it dropped to the low 70's to finish, then dropped it back to the 60's to clear up. I'll probably try to shoot for something similar if I can.

Looks like it's "Common Cider Company". I was interested in trying it, but looks like it's only out in NV and CA. We have a LOT of ciders on the shelves here in VT, I have just never seen one fermented with saison yeast. Local place does one with belgian wit yeast that's pretty good though.

Looks like it's "Common Cider Company". I was interested in trying it, but looks like it's only out in NV and CA. We have a LOT of ciders on the shelves here in VT, I have just never seen one fermented with saison yeast. Local place does one with belgian wit yeast that's pretty good though.

If you can find it, try Cider Creek's Saison Reserve from out here in NY. Awesome flavor. Probably the best out of all I've tried. They have a farmhouse cider too but not that great, IMO.

Cool, looks like the the nearest store that stocks it is in northwestern Mass. Not distributed in VT. If I'm ever down that way I'll definitely check it out.

I just bottled a Honey Saison Beer I brewed a couple months ago, is there any reason why I shouldn't dump 5 gallons of fresh UV treated cider on top of the yeast cake?

Cheers!
go for it. I reuse yeast for my beers. Often get quicker fermenting. I just started a batch of cider from left over saison yeast I used about a month ago. :mug:

I either use belle saison or 3711 for all of my ciders. Love it! I starter it because I moved and didn't have my fermentation chamber set up yet and it was summer so I fermented it at 72 room temp. Turned out great. Back sweetened to 1.008 with cherry concentrate. Nice and tart and delicious.

I have made a handful of ciders using left over ale yeast and store bought juice. I kegged some treetop fermented with 3711 yesterday, tasted pretty great at gravity reading.

Latest posts

Back