Cider Infection Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeeroot

Reaction score
So, I picked up a little infection in my cider this year. I was just wondering if someone could help me identify it and how long I should ride it out before bottling. It looks like a lacto infection? Thanks in advance.

20151103_083530.jpg

I don't know. I am not good at identifying infections by photos, I'm afraid.

I will guess that it's not lacto, as because of the huge headspace I would assume it's an oxygen-loving bacteria but other than that I have no idea.

You could try to get rid of the infection by using campden and of course racking to a more appropriately sized carboy (with NO headspace) but I think it's too late for that.

I did purge the carboy with co2 before racking, but I guess that didn't work too well. It still smells like cider so I guess that's a plus. I guess I'll treat it and rack it into a smaller carboy and see how that plays out.

Looks like something nasty. Taste it. Might need to dump it.

Sorry, I don't pull punches. Don't know what it is for sure, but it ain't Lacto, and it ain't Acetobacter either. It's something funky.

Back