Chest freezer - a dumb question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Belgian

Reaction score
I think my next purchase is going to be a chest freezer as I want to start brewing lagers. I'm going to start combing craigslist to get an idea of what's out there and would appreciate any suggestions. I'm not making a kegerator - just want to be able to control my temps for up to 2 carboys and maybe a couple cases of bottles so I can ferment and lager some good bocks and pilsners.

I appreciate any advice I can get.

Here's my dumb question. I envision a standard chest freezer that is tall enough (or "deep" enough) to accommodate a carboy or two inside with airlocks in place (and I suppose, maybe a blow-off tube for some of the beers). If the fermentation is chugging away, producing a ton of CO2 during the first 3-4 days, do I need to vent the freezer somehow? Or do freezers usually have a venting system in place that will allow the CO2 to escape while keeping the cold air inside?

thanks homebrewers!

No need to vent. I ferment in an old fridge in the basement and no problems. The beer does not produce enough CO2 to blow the lid off or kill everyone in the house. I've left beers fermenting for weeks unchecked and no problems.

I would imagine that the fermentation would not produce enough pressure to worry about. You could always lift the lid every couple of days.

a freezer will need to be fitted with a external temp controller. look at some of the keezer posts for info on temp controllers.

I'm envisioning the lid opening and closing like the top of one of those chests in an aquarium.:D

<object width="480" height="303" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" id="embid800493" data="http://www.pond5.com/pond5FlashPlayer2.swf"><param name="movie" value="http://www.pond5.com/pond5FlashPlayer2.swf" /><param name="wmode" value="opaque"/><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"/><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"/><param name="flashvars" value="hideController=no&amp;itemid=800493&amp;orgClipWidth=1920&amp;orgClipHeight=1080&amp;debug=no&amp;hqFLV=yes&amp;filetype=flv&amp;server=prod&amp;cj=yes" /><embed src="http://www.pond5.com/pond5FlashPlayer2.swf" width="480" height="303" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="opaque" flashvars="hideController=no&amp;itemid=800493&amp;orgClipWidth=1920&amp;orgClipHeight=1080&amp;debug=no&amp;hqFLV=yes&amp;filetype=flv&amp;server=prod&amp;cj=yes"></embed></object>

I have a 15 cu.ft. chest freezer purchased at Lowes for about $400.00. I have a Johnson analog thermostat controller and get really good results during primary and secondary fermentation. I brew mostly ales b/c I can use the fermenter for both stages of fermentation. With lagers you ferment at about 50*F and lager at about 34*F.
If i brew a lager I have to do alot of adjusting with the controller.

As far as CO2 in the fermenter, sometimes when i stick my head in to wipe the floor or adjust the carboys, i get a head rush from the CO2. It might make you pass out if you breathed it too long but I don't think there would be any other issues.

15 cu. ft. Compressor hump is on the left, with a box sitting on it. I can get 6 carboys in there (barely).

Blowoff_City.JPG

passedpawn said:
15 cu. ft. Compressor hump is on the left, with a box sitting on it. I can get 6 carboys in there (barely).

Damn that must be a ***** getting the carboys out without breaking your back. How do you do it?

Same idea only smaller. Costco 7cu ft freezer only 180. Holds two buckets and I put a milk jug on the hump for blow off. Ranco controller off ebay for 45 bucks and I can ferment ales or lagers and not worry about buying used, wondering what it really went through before I got it. If you can swing it, buy new and not gamble on having to buy another. Unless you are mcgyver, then buy a box and a shoe and you can make anything!

I found a 5cuft on Craigslist for $40. I can fit two carboys if I don't need a heater (one on the hump). I would look for at least a 7.5cuft if I were doing it again.

You could always lift the lid every couple of days.

That wouldn't really do anything. CO2 is heavier than air and would sit in the bottom on the freezer. If anything, I wouldn't be sticking my head down in the bottom of a freezer used for fermentation for minutes at a time.

Getting full carboys in and out of a chest freezer is a biatch and a half. Seriously look into standups where you could configure shelving. Your back will thank you.

Many thanks everyone. I appreciate the advice. I have the Johnson Controls thermostat unit, just need to get set up with a chest freezer. I considered a stand-up, but am a bit reluctant to go that route. It might be better to just invest in several of the nylon carboy carriers at ~$12 /ea. to help get them in and out.

Back