Checking Gravity from a Conical??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brentt03

Reaction score
Just a quick question to see how you all check your gravity during fermentation from a conical??

I have a brewhemoth and have normally just ran some off into my test tube from the racking valve but it seems as though this gets some yeast in there.

I didn't know if there may be a better way or if that even affects the reading??

Thanks!!

A small to moderate amount of yeast in your hydrometer sample won't seriously affect your reading. I highly recommend investing in a refractometer...a couple drops will do. To be highly accurate---and OCD, I'll fill a 2 dram vial from my conicals and put them in the fridge to floc out for an hour our so before taking a Brix reading on the refractometer. Just remember that once fermentation has begun you'll need to correct your Brix readings. You can download a spreadsheet for this here.

seafra said:
A small to moderate amount of yeast in your hydrometer sample won't seriously affect your reading. I highly recommend investing in a refractometer...a couple drops will do. To be highly accurate---and OCD, I'll fill a 2 dram vial from my conicals and put them in the fridge to floc out for an hour our so before taking a Brix reading on the refractometer. Just remember that once fermentation has begun you'll need to correct your Brix readings. You can download a spreadsheet for this here.

I actually picked up a refractometer last week. Thing is sweet!!

I just fill the tube steal a few drops and check it then do a sanity check with the hydrometer

I guess I expected our gravity to be a bit lower by now, so was making sure the yeasties weren't causing a misreading

Latest posts

Back