Cheapest all grain batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rambleon

Reaction score
Got myself a pretty tight budget these day but I also have a snobbish taste for craft beer. I'm racking my brain trying to come up with cheap but tasty recipes. I'm thinking Saisons will be relatively cheap with just base malt and some sugar. Any other ideas?

Smash recipes are cheap. Even cheaper if you harvest yeast.

Maris otter/amerillo
Maris otter/simcoe
Vienna/northern brewer

Mine were cheap and tasty. Calculated numbers in the middle of apa guidelines.

In a few days i will try a smash with pale ale malt and some homegrown cascade hops :D
I can't wait to see the result.

Lots of ways to bring cost down in brewing. The three biggest are bulk grain, bulk hops, and reusing yeast. Unfortunately, the first two require the money upfront but as long as you look at it as a long-term investment then the cost savings is there.

Use inexpensive hops like cascade, an inexpensive basemalt like us 2-row, a small amount of character malts like crystal, vienna and Munich. Keep the O. G. Low. Use a dry yeast like us-05, s 04 or nottingham.

ED Worts Haus Pale ale is a good place to start.

I've just bought 25 kg of Pale Ale malt.
The cheapest hop that i can get (beside my homegrown Cascade :D) is some Hallertauer Perle. I will try some after my Cascade are done.
I am pretty freaked out after my last batch turned sour, i am scared that this one could be sour too...

Back