Carbing outside?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kythcat

Reaction score
Call me a noob if you want, but all of you have me drooling over getting a keggerator or keezer for the soda for my family. Right now I just don't have the room for another appliance. One thought I had though, can I get a keg with a picnic tap, fill it up, put on the CO2 and let it sit on my front porch? I'm in Idaho, and with it coming up onto winter, the enclosed front porch gets pretty cold. Or am I borrowing trouble doing my carbed water that way?

:confused: And please be gentle with your abbreviations, I'm still trying to figure them all out. :confused:

You can carb anywhere as long as you know the temperature and it's fairly consistent! Use a carbonation chart/calculator to figure out what pressure is appropriate at whatever temp your porch is at. If you're carbing soda you'll probably want very high pressure anyway. Make sure the lines are balanced for when you pour! I know nothing about serving soda so I can't help you there.

Sure. Make your own tap, because you'll need 20' of 3/16ths hose and a typical pre-made party tap is around 5'. Also, be certain your porch doesn't go below freezing. Kegs have very thin walls and will often split if they freeze solid.

(Spent one winter in IF/ID. Don't envy you at all.)

Thank you both. I'm not sure if the temp is consistent, just that it's as cold as outside. I'll figure out something. Just tired of making soda using a carbonator cap.

Back