Can you lager a pilsner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mangler

Reaction score
I brewed a continental pilsner batch, using festabrew wort in a box kit about 4 months ago. At first it was good, but a little cloudy and quite hoppy (I loved it, but it wasn't a majority hit). Now the beer has been kegged in the kegerator for 2 months, and the pint I had today was very smooth, almost lager like. Very clear, very little hops taste. Not complaining, just wondering if this is how pilsners age. Or if this is good or bad for the style.

Good. Some might even say mandatory. Do you know what strain of yeast you used?

Most kit "pilsners" aren't really true pilsners. They are pilsner-like ingredients brewed with a clean ale yeast. A month of lagering will clean them up nicely and make them much more like a true pilsner.

Here are the specs for the kit( a bit harsh to call it a kit, it's all grain pasterized wort):

Festa Brew Continental Pilsner

23 L

OG: 1.0496-1.0504, FG: 1.0096 - 1.0104, Yeast: Saflager S-23, IBUs: 18

I asked about lagering because I thought the Saflager S-23 was an ale yeast, and I basically fermented at ale temps. Looks like I messed up. Their blonde lager kit uses the same yeast, and recommends fermentation from 9-15 degC, and says its ok up to 24C. I believe I was at around 18C, so ok but not ideal. Might explain why it took so long to come into its own.

Latest posts

Back