Can I make Yellow Fizzy Beer and an IPA from the same wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BowAholic

Reaction score
I just finished my 20g kettle with an electric controller and will brew my first 10 gallon batch in the next day or two. My wife loves a simple yellow fizzy beer while I drink IPAs, like NB Grapefruit Pulpin. Is it possible to make a 1.050 beer for her using about 8# of 2 row, 1/2# of crystal 20, and 1/2# of crystal 60, with 1 oz of Goldings@60 minutes for hops...then ferment 5 gallons with US-05 and the other 5 gallons add US-0 and dry hop for an IPA-like flavor?
thanks in advance.

You can make two different beers with that technique, not sure if she'll like it or not. I'd probably skip the crystal, maybe add a little munch and do two separate boils so you can get two good beers instead of two compromises. A hop forward and a malt forward beer will do best with different water profiles but you can still make good beer with the same water.

It is possible, but the technique will vary a bit on your equipment. Are you doing BIAB or a 3 vessel system?

You could do something like start with 15g in the kettle, boil for 30min with a basic bittering hop, then pull your first 5g off for the smaller beer. Then ramp the boil up a bit and add the larger hop additions for the second beer. IPAs can also use a sugar addition to dry them out and boost ABV, along with concentrating the wort from boiling.

There are some calculators out there for parti-gyle mashes as well - those can help.

I'm doing a full volume BIAB. I usually start my 5 gallon batches with about 7 gallons of water and end up with about 6 1/2 gallons pre-boil...5 1/4-5 1/2 post boil. I was thinking 13 1/2 or 14 gallons to start? If I understand what you are saying... you're suggesting that I only boil the yellow beer, which is usually about 6%ABV, for only 30 minutes before putting it in the chiller... and then add hops at 30 minutes and continue the remaining 5 gallons as an IPA? That's an interesting idea and it might work, but I have never boiled for such a short time. thanks!

Bow you could also boil both beers the same as always and pull a gal or so of the wort and put that on the stove with whatever hops you want to use in the IPA, and when done with the small pour the hop/beer tea into the IPA. That way you can do primary bittering, flavor and aroma hops into the tea. I have not done this before, but it seems like it would work. I have used a water/hop tea, but I understand more hop oil is extracted if you use just water. :D :mug:

That's another great idea that I would have never thought of... I could mash out and then pull a gallon of wort to boil with my 60 minute hops added...and I guess I could even add the 30 minute hops... then pour that gallon into my half of the wort before I ferment...?

I'm doing a full volume BIAB. I usually start my 5 gallon batches with about 7 gallons of water and end up with about 6 1/2 gallons pre-boil...5 1/4-5 1/2 post boil. I was thinking 13 1/2 or 14 gallons to start? If I understand what you are saying... you're suggesting that I only boil the yellow beer, which is usually about 6%ABV, for only 30 minutes before putting it in the chiller... and then add hops at 30 minutes and continue the remaining 5 gallons as an IPA? That's an interesting idea and it might work, but I have never boiled for such a short time. thanks!

I listened to Oldsock talking to Drew Beecham about doing this on experimental brewing in the car tonight. He boiled for 30 min, killed the burner and took 5 gallons for a 5% low/no hopped beer. Took it off through his plate chiller. Made an apricot sour out of that batch but guessing yellow fizzy would be even easier. Then he boiled the rest of the wort longer with big late hop additions for a NEIPA that was prob about 6% ABV due to the longer boil. I’d prob give the IPA part a pound of table sugar at end of the boil if I did it.

Why not just make a nice ipa wort, split it into two portions before boiling, dilute the fizzy yellow one a bit with water to get the desired og and let the IPA portion as it is. Boil both separately with the desired hops, job done!

This is a classic parti-gale opportunity where you mash in with a neutral grain bill that gives the gravity units for both beers. Draw off the first half of the wort which has two thirds of the gravity and use it to make your IPA. Then do the same with the second runnings for the yaller beer.
This lets you control hopping, boil length, and other factors for each beer.
I don’t do BIAB, so I am not sure how your gear would work for this. Seems like you would need someplace to put the bag/second runnings during the first boil.

thanks. The beers I brew are between 6 and 7% ABV...my wife's 6% and mine at about 7%. I bitter hers with an ounce of hops@60... I only use about that in mine and then don't hop any more until @20 minutes... so it may be easy to pull off. The simple solution would be to brew her 10 gallons and then brew myself 10 gallons... :mug:

That is exactly my recommendation. I would skip pilsner malt in the grist out of an abundance of caution (since the general rule is a 90 minute boil to drive off DMS that can be found in pilsner malt), but a short 30 min boil is more than enough to sterilize anything. Longer boils concentrate wort through boil off and can aid in hop IBU extraction, caramelize sugars a bit to darken color . . . none of which you would want in a "yellow fizzy beer".

If you start with 14, then at 30 min you pull off 5.5 and boil off 0.5, that leaves you with 8 gallons, so boil off another half gallon and lose another 0.5 to the kettle and trub, leaves you with +/-7 gallons to the fermentor. You could increase the boil time and intensity for the remaining portion as well. You could sparge through your BIAB in a separate container and add those second runnings to the remainder beer.

Another option would be to use your kettle as a mash tun and do a sparge, so your first runnings become the first beer and the second runnings become the second beer. That would let you have completely different hop bills for both beers. That is how I do it with parti-gyle, but I have a 3 vessel system, which makes it more complicated.

Back