Can i combine ball andpin lock kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webdevsoup

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Just curious, is it possible to run a multiple keg system off of a combination of ball-lock and pin-lock corny kegs? I currently have 1 pin-lock keg, but am looking at purchasing 4-5 more corny kegs for an upcoming event. Do they need to be pin-lock? Can you explain why they can't be combined, should that be the case. I suppose I could combine if I want to form over extra money for another co2 tank.

People choose ball or pin-lock for convenience. You CAN mix and match them if you want, but you will then have to always hook up your pin-lock keg to your pin-lock gas/beer lines.

So the only inconvenience is needing multiple connectors for the kegs. I'm going to end up getting a manifold, and building a new bottom for my fridge. Thanks for the info! Cheers!!

You can run a combination of both ball lock and pin lock. You will just need to have a combination of pin lock gas / beverage connectors and a combination of ball lock gas / beverage connectors. I would purchase the connectors with threaded ends to make changes or re-configuring easier.

Such as these for the ball lock beverage
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/kegging/soda-kegs-fittings/ball-disc-1-4-mfl-gas.html

These for pin lock beverage
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/kegging/soda-kegs-fittings/pin-disc-1-4-mfl-liq.html

The the barbed nut on the lines
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/1-4-barbed-swivel-nut.html

The only difference between the two kegs are the gas / beverage connections being utilized. The ball lock does just that, using ball bearings in the end of the connectors to hold the quick connect in place and seal. The pin lock kegs utilize a pin to lock the quick connection into place and seal. Other then that they are the same.

You do not need an additional C02 tank. You can run a manifold such as
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/2-way-co2-distributor-w-1-4-barb-shutoff.html
or do it with T fittings to branch off the gas line. The manifold is a preferred method because you can turn off unused lines. T fittings work as well.

Havent tried it yet..lol

image-4230155816.jpg

Only thing I'll add to the conversation is that pin locks tend to be more plentiful than ball locks and quite a bit cheaper. So if you have pin lock already, and like it, I'd stick with pin lock.

Havent tried it yet..lol
It's great, just remember it's for sipping. Not for shots. :D

Only thing I'll add to the conversation is that pin locks tend to be more plentiful than ball locks and quite a bit cheaper. So if you have pin lock already, and like it, I'd stick with pin lock.

I've got pin-lock and although they are cheaper, I've had a slightly harder time finding them than ball lock. Any new kegs are only ball lock that I've found. I do like them better than ball lock though. You CAN'T mess up the connections, which is nice.

reverendj1 said:
I've got pin-lock and although they are cheaper, I've had a slightly harder time finding them than ball lock. Any new kegs are only ball lock that I've found. I do like them better than ball lock though. You CAN'T mess up the connections, which is nice.

Yeah. I should have stipulated I was referring to used kegs. :mug:

Yeah. I should have stipulated I was referring to used kegs. :mug:

Oh, I meant used pin-locks are becoming harder to find too. At least for me. Like my LHBS regularly has one or two used kegs for sale (they go quickly), but probably 4 out of 5 times they are ball lock. When I see kegs on Craigslist, more often than not they are ball lock, etc. Not that you can't or it is really hard to, it's just hardER than ball lock. I don't know the truth of this, but the guy at my LHBS said it's because pin-locks were replaced with bags first, or there weren't as many produced (I forget exactly).

Hey everyone. Just curious, is it possible to run a multiple keg system off of a combination of ball-lock and pin-lock corny kegs? I currently have 1 pin-lock keg, but am looking at purchasing 4-5 more corny kegs for an upcoming event. Do they need to be pin-lock? Can you explain why they can't be combined, should that be the case. I suppose I could combine if I want to form over extra money for another co2 tank.

yes you can, hardware for running both types on the same system is easily available today. no need for a second co2 bottle.

pin locks were used exclusively by coke, everyone else used ball lock hence more ball locks in the market.

Oh, I meant used pin-locks are becoming harder to find too. At least for me. Like my LHBS regularly has one or two used kegs for sale (they go quickly), but probably 4 out of 5 times they are ball lock. When I see kegs on Craigslist, more often than not they are ball lock, etc. Not that you can't or it is really hard to, it's just hardER than ball lock. I don't know the truth of this, but the guy at my LHBS said it's because pin-locks were replaced with bags first, or there weren't as many produced (I forget exactly).

That's interesting, because around here, our closest hbs warned us that they had gotten their last shipment of standard ball locks, and that their suppliers said any ball locks they got in the future would be converted pin locks.

pin locks were used exclusively by coke, everyone else used ball lock hence more ball locks in the market.

coke kept using kegs for a decade or so longer than pepsi, 7-up and the independents.
while there are more total ball locks, you only see large amounts of pin locks
in distributor channels now. the ball locks have mostly been bought up in any large scale.

Latest posts

Back