Cachaca Honey Wheat IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JM-brew

Reaction score
first post here, thanks in advance for the input.
I ran into an interesting problem the other day with one of my beers, and I would like some other opinions.
I'm still kind of new to brewing, so I made a mistake that was kind of dumb in retrospect.:mad:
I'm just doing small batches right now until I get a beer pretty consistently good. Any way, I found a recipe for a 1 gallon batch of honey wheat ale and I followed it. Problem is, the hop schedule was for 2 additions of .5 oz. I didn't realize how much that was until the wort was already boiling so I just went ahead and put it in. I followed the rest of the recipe as it was written but I'm thinking that with so much hops, the flavor is going to be more like an IPA than the Honey wheat ale that I was shooting for. Thoughts?
I also was thinking, 'if it does have a decent flavor (more of an IPA) [I would like to note that I LOVE IPA's, but most of my friends here are not so much fans], how would an addition of cachaca taste?' I'm in Brazil and of course cachaca is the national drink here. I figure I would add it in for bottling and leave it in bottles for a couple weeks or so, but I'm not sure how much I should add for just 1 gallon of beer. Thoughts?
Thanks in advance for the help.

BTW, I'm tracking my beer-experiments on my blog http://themathisexperiment.blogspot.com.br/

this is how it turned out
20140913_180645.jpg

Opened another on a few days ago, it's actually pretty good now that it's aged a little. I used some hops I had lying around to finish them off and I think with maybe amarillo or Columbus hops, this could be a really good beer.

Did you end up putting the cachaca in? I lived in Brazil briefly, so I drank plenty of cachaca. I think it would taste a little bizarre and harsh in a beer, but if it was going to work in something, a honey wheat ipa might be it. I'm not surprised your friends down there don't like IPAs, they think antarctica is a good beer haha.

Is that picture an accurate color of how your beer turned out? The appearance doesn't look too good, which of course has nothing to do with the taste. But it kinda looks like grapefruit juice.

That's cool that you are brewing down in Brazil. Maybe try adding some fresh pressed sugar cane juice to a batch. It was widely available at open air markets everywhere I went down there.

Yeah, I did put cachaça in it. It wasn't overpowering at all. I used a brand called 'Seleta', it's pretty smooth. I think i might try to experiment with a couple different brands and see how it comes out. There's a HUGE difference in taste between 51 and some of the nicer cachaças from Minas Gerais. Yes the picture looks horrible, I had already started drinking it and thought, "hey I should take a picture". I'll take a better one next time I open a bottle.

Back