Cabinet Cleaner IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokinj

Reaction score
Got the overwhelming urge to brew the other day, and had no particular recipes in mind, so I decided to just throw in everything i had in the cabinet and see how it turned out. Just wanted to put it out there for some critique, pointers, etc.

6 gallon batch
75% efficiency assumed

GRAINS:
12.5# 2-row malt
1# caramel/crystal 30
.5# carapils/dextrine

HOPS:
.5oz simcoe (first wort hop)
.5oz nugget(60min)

then .5oz each of simcoe, cascade, citra, amarillo, and centennial mixed in a bowl, divided into 7 equal portions and added at 5 minute intervals from 30 min til flameout.

1/2 tsp irish moss

YEAST:
Safale dry ale yeast S-05

mashed at 154, batch sparge

est OG: 1.063
est FG: 1.014
est ABV: 6.4%

IBUs: not sure, I'm guessing between 60 and 70, though.
if anyone has a good way to figure the IBUs with this hop schedule I would be very interested in it.

The wort tasted great, and its currently bubbling away. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'll repost when i finally get to try it out.
Thanks,
Jeremy

You sure about those IBU's? I'd figure that would be less, like in the 50's maybe.

Not sure at all about the ibus. Plugged it into beersmith several different ways with varied results. There's quite a difference between the aa units on the hops so can't tell for sure. I would rather have around 50 to be honest. The goal was a bunch of hop flavor and aroma without a ton of bitterness. Suppose it doesn't really matter, just a number. Or is it....?

It does make a difference, but it will taste fine. When I make IPA's I have the same goal as you. I want a little bite to counter the maltyness but I want lots of flavor and aroma hoppyness, not overbitterness. I've made beers that were too bitter for me to drink. I think the way you hopped will be fine for all.

I did an IPA last weekend with a blend of the following added every 5 minutes for the last 20 minutes:
% type AA amount
9% Columbus - 14.6% (.5oz)
33% Cascade - 5% (2oz)
30% Willamette - 4% (1.75oz)
8% Mt Hood - 5.5% (.5 oz)
4% EKG - 4.5% (.25oz)
16% Amarillo - 8.5% (1oz)

To calculate IBUs I multiplied the weight of each hop by the AA%, added all together (~36.65), then divided by the total weight (6), to come up with an AA of 6.11. I then created a "new" hop in Beersmith with said AA and noted the hop types and amount of each in the notes section for future reference.

Formula makes sense. Based on that, I end up with 4.37 aa. That puts it at 51.5 ibus in beersmith. Should be drinking this very soon!

This turned out to be really good beer. Great hop flavor and aroma and very easy drinking for being about 7%abv. The critics agree(but they like any free beer!) I think next time I'll add some darker crystal(maybe 1/2# of 60) to get some more color and a little more malt flavor to balance the hops.

Back