Bulked age Wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsonbrew

Reaction score
I bulk aged my wine for over a year, then bottled and it sat for 2 months to eliminate the bottle shock. I popped a bottle and tasted it, it really did not taste like much of anything at all. I expected there to be some decent wine flavor since it bulkaged for so long. About all it produced was a gasless tasteless wine. Will it get better with another year in the bottle or is it destined to be a blah 13% wine? Its a Carmenere which is generally a pretty decent complex wine IMHO.

I bulk aged my wine for over a year, then bottled and it sat for 2 months to eliminate the bottle shock. I popped a bottle and tasted it, it really did not taste like much of anything at all. I expected there to be some decent wine flavor since it bulkaged for so long. About all it produced was a gasless tasteless wine. Will it get better with another year in the bottle or is it destined to be a blah 13% wine? Its a Carmenere which is generally a pretty decent complex wine IMHO.

Depends on what you made. Was it a kit? What level kit? amount of Concentrate? full grape? Were there grape skins?

I have found with most my wines need a good amount of time to breath after popping a bottle.
I usually pour a glass and walk away.

I agree with Pyg,

What type of wine did you make, was it from fresh grapes, kit or juice bucket?
Did you taste it before bottling?
Was this a Chilean juice bucket? Carmenere is a late ripening grape, although they had a severe spring frost that damaged emerging buds resulting in yields that were down a third, dry weather during the growing season prompted an early harvest, could this early harvest have effected the late ripening Carmenere?
There are several potential reasons for a "flabby" wine, did you test the PH and TA?

I look forward to your reply.

You will be disappointed to know that I did not do any of that stuff other than follow directions that came with the kit. This was my third kit wine and it was actually pretty expensive compared to the others so I had/have some high hopes for it. It was a Cellar Craft (I believe) and it came with grape skins and was an 18L kit I think. It did not seem to ever get exposed to much oxygen and it was in a cool dark place for the entire year it bulk aged. I know it takes a good 2 years to reach maturity, but I figured after 14 months (12 in the carboy and 2 in the bottle) I would have some kind of idea of what I was going to get. So right now its just flat and very unimpressive. The Old Vine Zin from CC that aged 18 months is a far better wine at this point. I am hoping for a significant change in the months to come other wise, its back to Total Wine for my cravings.

Back