Buffalo Wild Wings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought the commercial was pretty funny. B-dubs has been a source of humor for me for a long time now ever since a good buddy of mine mistakenly referred to them as BBW's.

Homebrewers are just collateral damage -- they're trying to reach into the brain of the BMC drinker, and silence that little voice that keeps insisting "hey, maybe those guys with their funny beers are onto something, and I'm the schmuck who's missing the boat..."

Reassuring people that they're right, and those other "weirdos" over there are wrong (and responsible for making life suck for the people who are right, in this case, by forcing them to drink crappy homebrew), is a very persuasive message -- it's built empires, I'm confident it will sell mediocre chicken wings, so in that sense, the ad agency hit the nail on the head. This is communication solely between the persuader and folks he's looking to reassuringly persuade, and as long as the patriots support the leader and the BMC drinkers buy the wings, nobody really cares what happens to the "weirdos."

For every homebrewer they turn off, there will be 50 non-brewers who have been turned on. We are a small minority and I'll bet if we totaled up all the money homebrewers spend at BBW per year, it wouldn't amount to much at all. In other words, they don't care if the commercial offends some homebrewers.

Screw 'em, I say. I brew beer as good or better than any I get at BWW anyway, if I do say so myself. I usually only order whatever swill is on special there anyway. I don't like to pay top dollar for beer that tastes like the establishment runs their wing grease through the same lines.

Based on this and several other threads I've read over the past few weeks, I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that a lot of people in this forum are humorless bores.

I just hope the mead brewers don't see "The Five-Year Engagement". We'll never hear the end of it.

This is one of the many reasons why I have not watch tv in over 3 years. Im strickly netflix, I don't need tv's propaganda to tell me what to spend my money on or even worse, think for me.

I do enjoy movies and tv shows, with no commercials.

Oh yeah BWW food is crap expensive and a loud annoying place with way to many tv's. Been there twice once in my hometown (midwest) and once in kentucky. Both time in two places was bad. I will never return, even if somone bought my meal.

Screw 'em, I say. I brew beer as good or better than any I get at BWW anyway, if I do say so myself. I usually only order whatever swill is on special there anyway. I don't like to pay top dollar for beer that tastes like the establishment runs their wing grease through the same lines.

I, for one, do not have any BBW expenditure per year either ;)

Based on this and several other threads I've read over the past few weeks, I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that a lot of people in this forum are humorless bores.

I just hope the mead brewers don't see "The Five-Year Engagement". We'll never hear the end of it.

What ever, America needs to find another form of entertainment other than dissing on other communities in the eye of the public. There's no excuse for poor taste and indifference.

BWW's commercials SUCK ASS.

Their normal ones are just retarded. DURRRR ref throwing a game so ass hat can skip work. Almost clever.

Didn't need another reason not to go there, but thanks.

Do they have craft or at least SA there?

My assumption is

LL (light lager)
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
Guinness

Actually, the BW3 near me has:

Founders Dirty Bastard
New Holland The Poet
Bells Oberon
Bells Two Hearted
Some other pseudo craft beers
and the usual line of Light Lagers

And the bartender told me that they clean their lines every 2 weeks as required by law.

I've rarely had bad food there. The service is usually pretty good, other than the waitress sometimes not wanting to grab a list of craft beers when she can't recite them by heart.

It is not fancy food. I think most people understand that going in. I personally don't care for the wings. The original style is not bad, but I don't like the boneless. I'm usually getting a sandwich anyway. Some of their sauces are pretty tasty.

I don't have a problem with their establishments, just wondering why people have a problem with all of these other stereotypes and this one is ok. I think stereotype humour is one of the funniest things a comic could use in his routine.

I wonder if they'd make a commercial about a fat guy eating too much?

What makes comedy funny is that there is a certain element of truth in the underlying joke. How many of us have been accused of being mad scientist-like as we brew? Think about some of our rigs, accessories, etc. and they kind of have a point. That said, I laughed when I saw the commercial, was not offended, and my local B'dub's carries a few of my favorites from Great Lakes to Founders to Sierra Nevada.

Ok. Some of you are being a little sensitive. That was pretty funny. Let's take a joke people.

sweetcell said:
:off: eh, i'd be careful with that...out of context someone is likely to misinterpret homer's words and think badly of him.

MZRIS said:
maybe that was the point - lol.

I dont post much in the general forums anymore. Not too worried about it.

Homercidal said:
:mug:

Just be glad I only gave you my short list! ;)

Bwahababah

I hereby convene a conference of Homebrew Clerics to declare JIHAD against the chicken wing INFIDELS!

:mad:

Actually I disagree, they have a pretty huge craft beer selection at their locations in AZ. I'd say they usually have 20 taps, 7-8 of which are macro beers, and the other 12-13 are local and regional micro breweries.

Yes, the majority of their audience is the BMC crowd, but that isn't to say they don't have a craft beer crowd.

As for being able to laugh at yourself, as I said initially, I find it funny, that's not my issue. My issue is, there are many people out there that have no experience with home brewing. This commercial could potentially have an EXTREMELY big audience if they air it during football games. This is NOT the message we want sent out to the nation about homebrewing.

Glad someone agrees with me. For a chain as big as they are, they have a pretty good craft beer selection at every location I've been to. I also happen to like their wings. I can't really say anything about the rest of their food, though, as I haven't had it.

i wear goggles, gloves, no shirt, and put lotion all over my body
Star-San. C'mon, guy, C'mon, do I have to tell you again. Star-San everywhere and on everything.

And don't forget your breathing filter mask.

They aren't the best wings in the world but they aren't bad. I have one opening 2 blocks from my house next week. Decent wings, good beer selection, walking distance from the house and just about every game on Saturdays I will be spending some college football watching time there

My general impression is that their food is mediocre & the service is worse.
Fortunately I have many alternatives for good food & craft beers so I never returned after my first visit.

Ok. Some of you are being a little sensitive. That was pretty funny. Let's take a joke people.

Pretty much. I saw the commercial, then figured I'd head over to HBT to see all the people with their panties in a bunch. I was not disappointed.

Homebrewers are just collateral damage -- they're trying to reach into the brain of the BMC drinker, and silence that little voice that keeps insisting "hey, maybe those guys with their funny beers are onto something, and I'm the schmuck who's missing the boat..."

This.

Home Brewers are not their target audience. Its the guy who kinda likes those "other" beers, but cant shake his conformity to the 'In Crowd". The bitter beer face believers who think triple hopped beer is something new. Your probably never going to pry the Bud Light from his hand as long as the group he places his self worth in, has control of the strings. That's alright. Its their loss. I drink great beer. I drink fantastic beer. I hang out with those who love and drink Incredibly fabulous beer. Beer we make, talk about, worry over and are proud of. Prosit!

On the other hand, Do you remember the first time you saw a bubbling carboy, with some brown sludge in the bottom and foam spewing out the blowoff, and remember what you thought at the time. " I'm going to drink this?"

Eh. It's just stereotyping. They had to go somewhere because, as everyone knows, it ain't right to say that:

Jews are tight with money
Blacks are criminals
Asians can't drive
Homosexual males are effeminate
Mexicans pick beans
Blondes are dumb
Blah, blah, blah.

I bet they had to really scrape the bottom of the bucket for some group to make fun of.

Also you can blame the brewers who keep putting weird things in their beer, like bacon.

Well put! I think this is why fat people get the grief they get too. There's an old movie that I only caught part of where the white trash family's farm failed. As they leave the boy sees that the black neighbor is weeping over his new dead mule. He looks at his father and his dad says, "Gotta be better than someone." People suck.

BTW. I'm on the fence with the commercial. I love wings. Even bad wings. I'd go to BWW in a heartbeat and demolish just about any wing they put infringement of me. I look to my brew club for beer or technique critiques and I have a bud in my kegerator for the guys who come over but also squat to pee.

Ya know what? Screw wings. Really. They make no sense.

Give me breasts and thighs. I want chicken. Gimme some chicken parts with actual chicken on them. Hell, at least some full grown wings and legs. Not this bull crap baby chicken parts. Nuggets with bones is all they are.

I could see if it were a survival situation. If I were lost in the woods with a broken leg and some little bird that fell out the nest is all I could catch. If times were tough and little bitty chicken parts is all we could get. Calling ketchup tomato soup and sopping a biscuit in the shadow of a ham bone. Yeah. Ya gotta make do. But that's all these pathetic little food scraps are. That's getting by food.

Oh, but it's about the sauces and spices. Oh but nothin. You can put all that on full grown chicken and call yourself actually eating something.

Buffalo wings. What a fleecing.

Give me breasts and thighs. I want chicken. Gimme some chicken parts with actual chicken on them. Hell, at least some full grown wings and legs. Not this bull crap baby chicken parts. Nuggets with bones is all they are.

I could see if it were a survival situation. If I were lost in the woods with a broken leg and some little bird that fell out the nest is all I could catch. If times were tough and little bitty chicken parts is all we could get. Calling ketchup tomato soup and sopping a biscuit in the shadow of a ham bone. Yeah. Ya gotta make do. But that's all these pathetic little food scraps are. That's getting by food.

Oh, but it's about the sauces and spices. Oh but nothin. You can put all that on full grown chicken and call yourself actually eating something.

Tell us how you -really- feel :)

Zuljin said:

Lighten up Francis.

I thought it was funny. I'm not someone who takes myself or others too seriously, so there's no possible way I could get offended by something like this. As far as driving people away from homebrewing - good. I'm checking Hopsdirect daily to get my order in before the rest of you knuckleheads as it is :D

I thought it was funny.

Also, when I'm in the mood for crappy beer, Marginal wings and lousy service, I go to Hooters. :mug::ban:

That ad pissed me off. I love BWW but this makes me not want to go there. I don't go around badmouthing their hormone-injected chicken and vat sauce. For many people that ad will be the introduction to homebrewing. I guess it doesn't matter in the end, but still...c'mon guys.

What? Nobody else watched that commercial and suddenly started formulating a recipe for bratwurst beer?

It must just be me then...

Back