Broken PRV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcmeador

Reaction score
After doing a full sanitizer purge of a keg today in preparation for kegging tomorrow, I heard a hissing coming from around the pressure relief valve in the lid. Tried to tighten the PRV and that didn’t help. I loosened it and the sound of the hissing changed, so I knew that was the culprit. Finally gave up and unscrewed it all the way to see what the problem was and found that the tip of the valve that holds the o-ring had just broken off.

I have a couple of PRVs being delivered Monday, so my kegging plans have been delayed, and I will have to sanitize and purge the keg all over again once I have a new valve installed. All that to say you should keep some spare PRVs around. I had spare poppets and o-rings but didn’t think to have spare PRVs.
F25CF61F-6B01-4B88-B620-0B72B8DC68C7.jpeg

man, you need spare rubbers for all your shafts...

edit: and be sure to use the right lube! vasoline, or keg lube....depending on the project.

Haha. Well I don’t think a spare o-ring would have helped in this case because there is nothing to attach it to.

yeah, i have a spare PRV sitting around...when i tried to replace my 20 years old pin locks, i realized i had to buy a new lid to get the new PRV to fit....

I had a prv that I always needed to jiggle a little bit each time I pulled it in order to get it to seal back up. Felt pretty silly once I realized that all I needed to do was unscrew the thing and spend $7 on a new one.

Latest posts

Back