Brewing with Cracked Corn / Clogging Mesh Filters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pj777

Reaction score
Ok, so this is a recent issue I can't seem to find a decent solution for. I have a recipe for a cream ale, but instead of using flaked maize I opted for heirloom / bloody butcher corn I got from a local distillery (red corn). It gives the ale a more earthy flavor, BUT because its actual unmalted whole corn I have to go through the geletinazation process. Not a problem, except that corn turns out to be a major pita to work with.

So I have a Brewer's Edge Mash and Boil which works great most of the time, but the grain bucket it comes with only includes a mesh filter at the bottom. So when the corn gets all thick, it tends to clog up that filter and prevents water flow through the grain. I've though about splitting the grain in two separate mash tuns to decrease the amount of corn in one or trying to find a mesh bucket that allows water to flow more freely. What I'm wondering is if there's a better way in tackling this issue OR if there's a way to increase the viscosity of the cooked corn?

Adjuncts are notorious for gumming up the mash. Have you tried rice hulls?

Can you post your full grain bill?

I have once, but it was added after everything was gummed up. Probably should've mixed it with the cracked corn:

6.25 lbs 2 Row Pale Malt
2.5 lbs of Cracked Red Corn
3.2 oz Maltodextrin
2 lbs of Maple Syrup

Next time you use adjuncts like this try throwing in some rice hulls. I personally don't use them often enough to be able to recommend an amount, but they can be helpful.

If you're really stuck, you could also try brewing in a mesh bag within your mash tun.

Back