Brewhardware 20G Equipment Profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoughSketch

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi there. Does anyone have an equipment profile for the custom 20gal Brewhardware setup? Been trying to dial it in and my mash volumes are so messed up in Brewfather.

Might help to post the profile you're using and how your mash volumes are messed up. Maybe post a sample recipe with your setup too.

For starters: make sure your "Mash/Sparge Water Calculation Method" is set correctly (should be "No sparge" for full volume BIAB) and that "include grain volume in mash limits" box is checked.

:mug:

Might help to post the profile you're using and how your mash volumes are messed up. Maybe post a sample recipe with your setup too.

For starters: make sure your "Mash/Sparge Water Calculation Method" is set correctly (should be "No sparge" for full volume BIAB) and that "include grain volume in mash limits" box is checked.

Here is the profile currently used, I had way too much water in the mash (about 3 gal over) which needed to be boiled off, the mash was super thin:

Batch volume target=Fermenter
Batch Volume=10.5gal
Calc boil volume=yes
Boil off=1.5gal/hr
Pre boil volume(auto calculated)=12.59gal
Trub/Chiller Loss=0.15gal
Mash-Tun Deadspace=3gal
Mash-Tun loss=0
Brewhouse Efficiency=70%
Mash Efficiency(auto calculated)=71%
Calc mash efficiency=yes
Hop utilization=100%
Mash/Water Method=No Sparge
Grain absorbtion=0.383 qt/lb.
Water/Grain Ratio=1.294 qt/lb.
Include grain volume in mash limit=yes / Min 5.5gal / Max 20gal

Here is the recipe I used:

Munich Slam Dunkel
Munich Dunkel
5.9% / 18.4 °P
Recipe by
Rough Sketch
All Grain
Brewhardware 20G 240V
70%
efficiency
Batch Volume: 10.5 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Mash Water: 15.01 gal
Total Water: 15.01 gal
Boil Volume: 12.59 gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.067
Vitals

Original Gravity: 1.076
Final Gravity (Adv): 1.031
IBU (Tinseth): 28
BU/GU: 0.37
Color: 20.5 SRM
Mash

Strike Temp — 127.2 °F
Temperature — 122 °F15 min
Temperature — 145 °F35 min
Temperature — 158 °F35 min
Malts (30 lb 8 oz)
14 lb
(45.9%) — Bairds Munich Malt — Grain — 6 SRM
12 lb (39.3%) — BestMalz Munich Dark — Grain — 13 SRM
3 lb (9.8%) — Weyermann Pilsner — Grain — 1.7 SRM
1 lb (3.3%) — Briess Victory Malt (biscuit) — Grain — 37 SRM
8 oz (1.6%) — Weyermann Carafa II — Grain — 415 SRM
Hops (2.5 oz)
1.3 oz
(27 IBU) — Chinook 13.3% — Boil — 60 min
1.2 oz
(2 IBU) — Hallertauer Mittelfrueh 3.2% — Boil — 5 min

Hopstand at 172 °F
Miscs
2.7 g
— Baking Soda (NaHCO3) — Mash
0.5 g
— Calcium Chloride (CaCl2) — Mash
2.5 g
— Chalk (CaCO3) — Mash
1.3 g
— Epsom Salt (MgSO4) — Mash
1.4 g
— Gypsum (CaSO4) — Mash
0.13 g
— Sodium Metabisulfite (Na2S2O5) — Mash
Yeast
1 pkg
— White Labs WLP820 Octoberfest/Marzen Lager 73%
Fermentation
Primary — 48 °F5 PSI18 days
Carbonation: 2.5 CO2-vol
Water Profile

Ca2+
27Mg2+
2Na+
22Cl-
8SO42-
26HCO3-

Here is the profile currently used, I had way too much water in the mash (about 3 gal over) which needed to be boiled off, the mash was super thin:

Was going to ask about this but looks like you caught it and changed "sparge" to "mash".

Heading out for a few - will look closer when I get back.

With full volume BIAB your mash will be very thin. Still, something does not add up...

At what point were you 3 gallons over? Did you measure and record pre-boil and pos-boil volumes?

Are you boiling with no lid or are you using a steam condenser?

With full volume BIAB your mash will be very thin. Still, something does not add up...

At what point were you 3 gallons over? Did you measure and record pre-boil and pos-boil volumes?

Are you boiling with no lid or are you using a steam condenser?
My pre-boil volume was 3 gal over. I had to boil off all that extra.

According to recipe, your total mash water was 15.01 gallons and pre-boil volume should be 12.59 gallons. 3 gallons extra would be 15.59 gallons which is more than you started with. One of those two measurements can not be correct.

Just to clarify - did you sparge at all or add any other water?

How confident are you of your volumes? Did you independently calibrate some kind of measurement device?

It's partially the absorption ratio. BIAB is closer to .23 qts/lb. You had yours at .383 so .383 minus .230 is .153 x 30.5 LBs of grain calculates to 6.4 quarts too much water.

The profile suggests 10.5 in the fermenter.
Add .15 gallons for trub loss and that's 10.65.
Add the 4% cooling shrinkage in the kettle and that's about 11 gallons.
Add 1.5g boil off and that's 12.5 gallons preboil.
Add .230 qts/lb absorption rate at 30.5 pounds = 1.75 gallons so that's 14.25 gallons of starting water.

So if anything you should have only been high by .75 gallons if all the other profile settings are correct.

Other thoughts. I would expect about a gallon of trub loss whether you leave that behind in the kettle or if you transfer all of it to a conical fermenter and then dump a gallon of settled trub before pitching. In my case, I would either change the trub loss to 1 gallon if you leave it in the kettle or set the into fermenter volume to about 11.25.

Are you using an open boil or lidded steam slayer? If the latter, the boil off should be set to .75 GPH.

Totally unrelated to the question at hand, did you really pitch or plan to pitch only one pack of lager yeast in a 10 gallon batch? That beer needs something like a 5-6 liter starter.

Last edited:
Back