Brew Belt Temperature Change?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobilecabinworks

Reaction score
I think I've read just about every post with the words brew belt in them, and can not figure out about how much temperature shift folks have experienced. I know the manufactuer says abround 10F from ambient, but that not really helpful.
My situation is this. I have a small area to ferment in. A bench/trunk big enough for just over 2 brew buckets to fit. The ambient temperature is about 55F all the time now that it's winter. I was looking at using a light bulb and possibly some kind of temp controller temp to get the beer to 65-70F. I also though about a small ceramic heater with a thermostat on it. I then started to think about just using a brew belt. The brew belt seems to be the best and safest route, I just need to know what kind of temperature shift others have experienced. Especially anyone who's used them in an area about 55F if there is anyone. I know I can regulate the temp by moving it up and down on the bucket, and plan on running a trial with a bucket full of water first. Thanks.

I would recommend a FermWrap over a heat belt, with a temp controller. It provides a more even heat, and I have been able to get 20°F above ambient, and haven't pushed it to the limit.

Second the fermwrap and a temperature controller with a fan. I wouldn't even wrap it around the buckets. Just place along the wall of your chamber. I've had the fermentation chamber in the mid 70s when my basement has been in high 50s with no problems.

ferm.jpg

I was ideally trying to go about this as cheap as possible. I'm pretty strapped for $. Was hoping to leave out the controller and be able to manage the temp with just the belt and some adjusting. I'm planning on purchasing it anyway, and will try to let you know my results.

Went to the LHBS today and picked up the Brew Belt. I have attached it to the test bucket of water that has leveled to the ambient temp (~55F). I will be sure to let you know the results. I think this might be a good solution.

I checked the temperature this morning on the test bucket. The belt has been on for about 14 hours about 1/3 up from the bottom of the bucket. They recommend 1/3 down from the top, by we are experimenting here. It had brought the temperature of the water to ~72F with a 56F ambient temp. I moved the belt to a 1/3 from the top position to see where the temp will level off at. Will let you know.

Checked the temp again this morning and it is holding a constant 74F. Might have to look into the pencil gapping idea, or perhaps wrap a piece of cloth between the belt and the bucket.

Got my ESB brewed up and put in the fermentation chamber. Pitched at 74F, now at about 69F. I had the brew belt on overnight last night it kept it at the 74F. So I shut it off and let it settle today. Sitting at about 69F. I have the brew belt around the very top of the brew bucket to it is hopefully heating up the small area inside of the box it is in. Hopefully will keep the temp up in there. We will see.

Back