Brett B fermentation temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack_a_roe

Reaction score
So apparently I ordered the wrong Brett B and got Brettanomyces bruxellensis instead of the Brettanomyces bruxellensis trois which has different reccomended fermentation temps. The trois is doable on my setup with fermenting @ 70 while the brett b I currently have says ferment at 85+. I know increase in temp increases the funk and all but is 85 completely necessary? If so, is there any way to get it up to temp in a simple cost effective manner?

I use a water bath and an aquarium heater to get my belgians up above room temp.

i use brett brux all the time and have never fermented at 85 degrees, it does fine at 70 or so.

Don't worry it about it how to get to 85. It's a mystery why they suggest such high temps for wlp650. Should be just fine at 70.

wlp650? and if so how much funk do you get fermenting at 70?

plenty. complexity seems to come with time in my experience. very often people wonder why their sour or brett beer is not as funky or sour as they thought it would be and it's very often because they are tasting it too soon. my brett c starter smells like pineapple vomit but the pale ale i make with it does not, much milder.

Latest posts

Back